Is Design and Development (7.3) applicable to a Project Management Department

G

glenn0004

Some time ago you were all very helpful with a question relating to Design and Development within one department of our company.......DD is now in question again!
We are strengthening a Project Management Office within our company. The main duties of the PMO will be to support sales activities and deliver an agreed solution to the customer. Elements of DD sit very close to methodology used by the PMO, but does one dictate the other..... Many Thanks

Extra info: "an agreed solution" would be - off the self items configured to suit the customers requirements not a manufactured item.

Last edited by a moderator:

harry

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Is Design and Development (7.3) applicable to a Project Managment Department

.............................We are strengthening a Project Management Office within our company. The main duties of the PMO will be to support sales activities and deliver an agreed solution to the customer................................

I think this situation is well explained in the: Introduction and support package :
Guidance on ISO 9001:2008 Sub-clause 1.2 'Application', Annex A, Example 6 – Design of services

The organization is not justified in the exclusion of sub-clause 7.3 Design and development since it has developed a customized service to meet its customer’s requirements,......................

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul Simpson

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Is Design and Development (7.3) applicable to a Project Managment Department

Thanks for the link, Harry. While I accept the guidance has come from ISO I'm not convinced by the argument. The example of providing a tailored service (for audits) does not mean that the service is a one off for the client. I'll see if I can feed my query in to ISO with a link to the post.

My answer to the OP would be: "It depends."

- If project management simply involves tracking work packages and cost to ensure the elements of quality, cost and delivery are met then I would say not.
- If there is an original element of the final product being delivered then this should be covered by design control

Hope this helps. :)

Top Bottom