Is ISO 14001 A 'nice to have' or a necessity?

I

isomo

Large technology organisation with mature QMS, realises the commercial prowess provided by ISO:9001 certification but is less committed to implementing an EMS. Central function owns policy creation/facility management and has explored accreditation in the past but failed to gain senior buy in. Is ISO:14001 a nice to have or a necessity?

Kales Veggie

People: The Vital Few
Re: 14001 A 'nice to have' or a necessity?

That depends: some large OEMs require ISO 14011 or recommend it.

So not having ISO 14001 registration may limit your business opportunities. Does senior management know this?

L

lufaso

..... a nice to have or a necessity?

My opinion:
If your company can increase sales after certification 14001, go ahead. Otherwise, it is important to have the EMS implemented (even if not certified) because your company can achieve some good results as:
reducing waste disposal, be prepared with an emergency response plan, risk assessment, accident investigation plan, and others.

Mikishots

Trusted Information Resource
Large technology organisation with mature QMS, realises the commercial prowess provided by ISO:9001 certification but is less committed to implementing an EMS. Central function owns policy creation/facility management and has explored accreditation in the past but failed to gain senior buy in. Is ISO:14001 a nice to have or a necessity?

It's very much dependent on what your customers require. If none require it, then it's a nice-to-have. Unfortunately, it's the first big potential customer that walks away (because a prospective organization didn't have it) that triggers the hard look by senior management. The thought process is "We ain't doing it until we have to".

I

isomo

It's very much dependent on what your customers require. If none require it, then it's a nice-to-have. Unfortunately, it's the first big potential customer that walks away (because a prospective organization didn't have it) that triggers the hard look by senior management. The thought process is "We ain't doing it until we have to".

Thanks for the replies.

I get the sentiment that lost revenue dictates 14001 a necessity.

Currently, over 50% of potential clients/tenders ask for 14001 cert in assessment criteria. Would have find out how many are lost due to lack of a cert and the value of lost business.

Beyond lost revenue, cost management and CSR factors what else can support the view that 14001 is a necessity?

Not even sure a formal environmental policy exists so an EMS is merely a glint in the eye at the moment! :deadhorse:

Top Bottom