ISO 9001:2008 and AS9100 combined Quality Manual (Systems Manual)

Steve Weber

Starting to get Involved
Our company manual depicts both ISO9000 and AS9100. It is true that AS9100 incorporates all of the ISO requirements, however, some of our customer base was not familiar with anything but ISO. What we did was wrote the ISO requirements in a regular font, added the AS9100 requirements in bold italics. Hope this makes some sense.
Steve

Q

QA Lady

Our QA manual is a dual manual. The reason being.......we have
3 divisions within our organization. 2 are AS9100 and the 3rd ISO.
We address specific exclusions for that facility. If all divisions were AS9100 I would only address the AS9100 reqmts.

J

Jimw1954

We have a dual system here. Although our aerospace business is only about 20-25% of our total business, over 90% of the additional aerospace requirements can easily be applied to the commercial side, at least in our business. The 10% of aerspace requirements that we do not want to apply to commercial are highlighted in bold in our manual to note that the requirements apply to AS9100 jobs only. We also use color coded job cards to differentiate aerospace jobs from commercial jobs. Second year in, no problem so far. One manual works fine. I do have to confess, though, that the manual is tailored to our CB auditors wishes. He is the only one who really reads it.

J

Joy

All my friends have answered very appropriately.The consultant must be handling AS9100 project for the first time and did not have time to go through the standard.

Check the background of consultant to avoid future problem.

But check if the consultant is mentioning about ISO 9001:2008 version.The AS9100 Rev.B was written on ISO 9001:2008.So, to incorporate the changes of ISO 9001:2008 in the manual,follow the standard.Address additional requirements of AS9100 Rev.B.This will solve the purpose and when you are certified, you get certificate for ISO 9001:2008 and AS9100 Rev.B.I believe there is a clarification on this from IAQG.

Hope I understood your problem.

I

ingabramrobles

I'm preparing a QC Manual for ISO 9001, TL 9000,ISO 13485 and AS 9100 , that is diferent that you said, how ever if you have Aerospace products and comercial products you need to define the added for AS , on Highligth ,if not do only an AS QC Manual and it will reflect ISO 9001:2008 ,

J

Joy

Sorry.

I made a typo error and mentioned that AS9100 Rev.b is based on ISO 9001:2008.Read it as ISO 9001:2000.
My apologies.Thanks to my friends to draw my attention.

B

Big Al43

For Mike_H question (Sampling on the R&D AS9100 QMS)

I have successfully implemented AQMS for small org including R&D in the AS9100 environment. The idea is to use the Design validation and the FAI in combination. The FAI is usually validated by the customer unless the org has design authority. There are more details but you got the main idea.

Hope this help,

Big Al43

M

Mike_H

For Mike_H question (Sampling on the R&D AS9100 QMS)

I have successfully implemented AQMS for small org including R&D in the AS9100 environment. The idea is to use the Design validation and the FAI in combination. The FAI is usually validated by the customer unless the org has design authority. There are more details but you got the main idea.

Hope this help,

Big Al43

thanks for the reply, I understand your example for FAI's as it applies to design validation. The dilemma I am grappling with revolves around our operations' very blurred line between "future production" arising from R&D prototyping and "current production" representing more stable manufacturing processes we have here. We don't have a clear line between the two...product often crosses over from "prototype" to "production" quickly as we seek to satisfy our customers with the latest products. The customer is always a prime concern, but to implement a QMS in this fluid environment is the challenge (or so I see it as)... any other advice welcome? :cool:

charanjit singh

Involved In Discussions
Sorry for digressing a little. Can any one tell me whether an AS 9100 Lead Auditor Trg course is scheduled to be conducted in Chicago within the next one month? I am in Chicago at present. Thanks in advance!

Jupitor.

Top Bottom