ISO 9001:2015 - Set interval for Management Reviews?

porcupine

Registered
We recently had an audit, I was dinged (justifiably so) for not holding the MRM quarterly. It is stated in our procedures manual that management will hold meetings quarterly at a minimum. We simply do not have the time or people to ensure that they will be held at those intervals. I intend to edit that section of our manual to make things more feasible. When we do have them, they are very informative and effective. Our goal is to indeed have them that often but getting everyone here every day is a challenge and when people are here we need to focus on keeping our organization going by getting parts out. My question is, do I have to put a set time interval on it or can I state that top management will hold meetings at planned intervals? Maybe something like.... planned intervals and parties will be notified in advance to meeting.. ? Thank you for your input.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
We don't hold a single, specific "management review" meeting. We found them a colossal waste of time in our small organization. Instead, we cover management review topics in all of our general meetings. We keep a checklist and record of the required topics. When one comes up in our meeting, we discuss, review and record it on the record. Takes a little bit for some auditors to figure it out, but once they do, we have never had a problem.

Kronos147

My question is, do I have to put a set time interval on it or can I state that top management will hold meetings at planned intervals? Maybe something like.... planned intervals and parties will be notified in advance to meeting.. ? Thank you for your input.

'Annually at minimum' is a good statement for a manual or procedure (one, not both... risk is they will not be the same statement)

We don't hold a single, specific "management review" meeting. ...Instead, we cover management review topics in all of our general meetings.

This is smart. Most companies discuss all the topics, but maybe not in one massive meeting. Defining the process of management review meeting as the formalized collection of data as objective evidence based on meetings that take place during the year is a good practice, IMHO.

normzone

[Golfman]'s approach is good, and I wish we could do it.

I don't feel it's any less work, and requires somebody to "keep a checklist and record of the required topics. When one comes up in our meeting, we discuss, review and record it on the record".

The challenge is ensuring that this mindset is established and maintained. The reason for the traditional yearly meeting is because nobody can be arsed to track all the hallway meetings that these requirements are otherwise met in.

Golfman25

[Golfman]'s approach is good, and I wish we could do it.

I don't feel it's any less work, and requires somebody to "keep a checklist and record of the required topics. When one comes up in our meeting, we discuss, review and record it on the record".

The challenge is ensuring that this mindset is established and maintained. The reason for the traditional yearly meeting is because nobody can be arsed to track all the hallway meetings that these requirements are otherwise met in.
Yeah. The larger the organization, and the more cats you have to herd, the more you have to trend towards an annual "catch all" meeting. For us, a lot of that happens when we do our yearly business review and planning.

We switched from the annual meeting to what we do now because even with only 5 cats, it was too much to herd them all up an any specific time.

normzone

With our headcount of approximately 250, my boss herds a couple of dozen cats into an online meeting, and I take the minutes, then he uses those and the powerpoint slides to create the report. It's hilarious ...

We'll have our next meeting soon, and I'm going to try something new. All discussions will fall into one of three buckets.

1) Off the record
2) Informational only - no actions required
3) Action required - Action owner and the person they report to will be part of the record. Responsibility to follow up will rest with those persons.

This is to get us out of the pit of QA being responsible for compelling actions from action owners that do not answer to QA. The QA portion of this loop will be to document and report whether or not those persons met their responsibilities. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
I'm with Golfman. :agree:

Nothing in the standard requires a particular venue for management review, and nothing requires all of the clauses and subclauses to be included in each review. Since your certificate runs on a 3-year period the CB has a right to expect to see everything is covered at some point in that three year period, not to see everything in every review.

I have clients who schedule to cover one or two subjects at a time monthly, doing a "deep dive" at that frequency is more useful to them as a management team than trying to do a superficial look every quarter or 6 months. In lower level meetings, a monthly or bi-monthly look at process metrics and corrective action progress helps managers keep in touch with what is happening.

My point is to try to make it more of a business system meeting and less of an ISO mandated meeting.

@normzone, I can only guess what discussions would be initiated in the Off the record bucket. Hmmm

Randy

Super Moderator
We recently had an audit, I was dinged (justifiably so) for not holding the MRM quarterly. It is stated in our procedures manual that management will hold meetings quarterly at a minimum. We simply do not have the time or people to ensure that they will be held at those intervals. I intend to edit that section of our manual to make things more feasible. When we do have them, they are very informative and effective. Our goal is to indeed have them that often but getting everyone here every day is a challenge and when people are here we need to focus on keeping our organization going by getting parts out. My question is, do I have to put a set time interval on it or can I state that top management will hold meetings at planned intervals? Maybe something like.... planned intervals and parties will be notified in advance to meeting.. ? Thank you for your input.
Self inflicted wound, so the "ding" is entirely your fault...........Fix it!

The requirement is "planned intervals" and that's your responsibility, either do what you plan or change the plan. Again, it's yours, so fix it to where it will work.

porcupine

Registered
With our headcount of approximately 250, my boss herds a couple of dozen cats into an online meeting, and I take the minutes, then he uses those and the powerpoint slides to create the report. It's hilarious ...

We'll have our next meeting soon, and I'm going to try something new. All discussions will fall into one of three buckets.

1) Off the record
2) Informational only - no actions required
3) Action required - Action owner and the person they report to will be part of the record. Responsibility to follow up will rest with those persons.

This is to get us out of the pit of QA being responsible for compelling actions from action owners that do not answer to QA. The QA portion of this loop will be to document and report whether or not those persons met their responsibilities. I'll let you know how it turns out.
I would be interested in that approach.
Self inflicted wound, so the "ding" is entirely your fault...........Fix it!

The requirement is "planned intervals" and that's your responsibility, either do what you plan or change the plan. Again, it's yours, so fix it to where it will work.
As I stated, "justifiably so", I am here to get help so that I can fix it in a way that I can do what is planned regardless of the less helpful mindsets. I am not in control if people show up for the meeting, I can't have a meeting with just me......

Top Bottom