ISO 9001 - 8.4.1 Evaluate All Suppliers?

Tagin

Trusted Information Resource
Objective evidence: it was noted during the audit that no supplier evaluation records were available for the following indirect material suppliers: (2 MRO suppliers were listed as evidence)

What does "MRO" mean? Oh, just looked it up..is it "Maintenance Repair and Operations"? If so, what do those 2 suppliers provide for products/services?

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Assuming MRO = Maintenance, Repair and Operations...it leads to another question...

Did your company determine that no records needed to be kept for those suppliers, and did you determine that no monitoring or reevaluation was needed for those suppliers?
It isn't that you didn't do it, it's that you didn't determine and apply the criteria...or at least you didn't show that to the auditor...

That's what I was saying above...we determined and applied the criteria of "as long as stuff matches the packing list for these guys".

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Often MRO suppliers perform services on aerospace parts (the O is often short for Overhaul). If for example you sent a product to a MRO supplier who performed maintenance on, or repaired it, and then you sent it to your customer, that MRO supplier should be controlled.

Dan M

Involved In Discussions
Assuming MRO = Maintenance, Repair and Operations...it leads to another question...

Did your company determine that no records needed to be kept for those suppliers, and did you determine that no monitoring or reevaluation was needed for those suppliers?
It isn't that you didn't do it, it's that you didn't determine and apply the criteria...or at least you didn't show that to the auditor...

That's what I was saying above...we determined and applied the criteria of "as long as stuff matches the packing list for these guys".

When we order coffee for the coffee machine, we verify that we received the correct coffee and correct quantity and log this into our "MRO purchasing system".

Dan M

Involved In Discussions
Often MRO suppliers perform services on aerospace parts (the O is often short for Overhaul). If for example you sent a product to a MRO supplier who performed maintenance on, or repaired it, and then you sent it to your customer, that MRO supplier should be controlled.

In this case, we are talking about operating supplies.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
...but did you "determine and apply the criteria " for that vendor?
Did you show that to the auditor?

Yes, it's totally picky...and unreasonable...
But you can fight it forever, or write a simple note in your AVL and make the whole thing go away and get back to real work.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
"...not fully effective." - What a poorly worded finding.

Your organization gets to determine the controls and evaluation criteria for your suppliers. What does your process say? Does your process indicate that there should have been records for the two MRO suppliers?

For example, in my steel-making world, they would be a key supplier and our own process required us to maintain records of their performance (i.e., evaluation).

If they are not on your key supplier list, can you tell us why? What role to do they play in your organization's ability to fulfill client requirements?

Dan M

Involved In Discussions
...but did you "determine and apply the criteria " for that vendor?
Did you show that to the auditor?

Yes, it's totally picky...and unreasonable...
But you can fight it forever, or write a simple note in your AVL and make the whole thing go away and get back to real work.

Agree. I told my colleague (the QM at this location) to take the path of least resistance. A "Mickey-Mouse" finding will receive a "Mickey-Mouse" corrective action.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Ahhhh, useless documentation to make up for unreasonable auditors... makes my heart swoon.

...but don't pick on the Mouse...that's totally crossing the line...:cool:

mattador78

Quite Involved in Discussions
I was recently audited by a customer who questioned a supplier performance on our internal audit which was well below our set target. They asked if i had looked for an alternative supplier and i informed them i had however this was the manufacturer and there was a supply chain issue due to COVID. The issue was delivery times not the quality of the goods so due to the pandemic i wasn't being overly worried as we had large stocks and we were just replacing usage. He then asked me why i hadn't looked at an alternative product which shocked me as i had to explain that that product and only that product could be used according to their specifications so what else was i supposed to do? His colleague who has audited me face palmed himself before stepped in explained that he was new and lets just carry on.

Top Bottom