ISO 9001 Certification status for sale of business - Transfer of Registration?

Certification status for sale of business

Has anyone had experience with their company changing hands (going from QS9000 to ISO9000 with the sale of the business)? I would appreciate any comments.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Assuming the purchasing company is ISO 9001 registered this is simply a matter of having their registrar come in for a looksie.

If the purchasing company is not ISO 9001 registered they have to make a decision as to whether to keep the current registrar or not. They can 'demote' to ISIO 9001 from QS-9000 any time with the current registrar. To change registrars is pretty simple any more - some don't even want to come in for a looksie right away (most do).

Marc

Leader
Just out of curiosity, has anyone here gone through a sale? I suppose each registrar has its own rules, but any replies from someone with experience will be appreciated!

T

tomvehoski

I did one (QS/TE + 14001) that was not really a sale, but one company splitting into two. The management system was never really set up for the entity being split off, so we built a new one that fit better. The original registrar would not cut any deals on a registration audit (would not even waive the application fee), so we had another registrar quote it and awarded them the job. The plan was for a one day document review and "assumption" audit from the old registrar to the new. Due to internal politics, the main company chose to pull ahead their surveillance audit a month, which left too much time between that audit and our readiness for the assumption, so we had to go through a new audit and the spin-off technically lost their registration for a short time (no customers noticed).

Basically - Company A spins off Company B, which is still in the same building. Company A sabotages B's cheaper option for an assumption audit. Registrar A gives outrageous quote, so Registrar B handles new Company B registration. Two companies with same (basic) name, in same building, with two registrars. Very strange situation.

D

D.Scott

Not really the same situation as asked but I will share this. We have gone through two purchases but in our case the companies we bought were QS-9000 as well so we just continued the certification already in place and eventually just made a name change. I guess having the same registrar made it easier as well.

Dave

Marc

Leader
I was wondering what happens when there is a registrar change. I assume it would be the same as doing a registrar transfer where the registrar decides what they want.

T

tomvehoski

I would contact multiple registrars and ask them exactly how they wanted to handle it. You may be able to get away with as little as a one day review of documents, previous external audits, management review, etc.

S

Sam

Marc said:
I was wondering what happens when there is a registrar change. I assume it would be the same as doing a registrar transfer where the registrar decides what they want.

Basically that is correct. Guidelines for CB change and change of ownership is contained within the "TS2 Rules" manual.
Change of ownership starts the decertification process and you will be re-instated or withdrawn based on CA verification.

Top Bottom