Life on the Road - The worst business trip of my life

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
tomvehoski said:
Don't know about masseurs, but the main Northwest world club in Detroit has showers, as does at least one KLM lounge in Amsterdam. DTW also has one of the commercial spas that offers massages and has showers available. I'm sure several airports do now.

I'll probably join on my outbound trip to Germany next month. A few $12 airport drinks plus snacks will offset the $300 membership fee in no time.

I believe if you have a Platinum Amex card, NWA will let you enter the club. I know that Delta and Continental does. United does not.

T

tomvehoski

hjilling said:
I believe if you have a Platinum Amex card, NWA will let you enter the club. I know that Delta and Continental does. United does not.

NW also participates, but the annual fee is $395. I don't really need the card, and can get the Worldclubs access for $300 with my NW Gold status. I dont' think the Amex option would work in Europe or on some of the other alliance partners of NW such as Alaska or AeroMexico.

www.prioritypass.com is another option, but more restricted. It might be good for some depending on their flying patterns.

Randy

Super Moderator
$300!!:mg: Cash in airmiles...American only needs 35000 miles for an Admirals Club membership

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Randy said:
$300!!:mg: Cash in airmiles...American only needs 35000 miles for an Admirals Club membership

yeah, but airmiles are generally regarded as worth .01-.02 cents per mile. 35,000 miles is worth about $450+, at least on paper.

Course, as Jay Leno says, go ahead and eat em...we'll make more...

T

tomvehoski

NW does not allow purchasing with miles. I don't know that I'd cash in 35K miles anyway. Miles are typically valued anywhere from $.01 to $.02 - I use $.015, so 35K miles = $525. For 30K I can get a business class upgrade to Europe worth $500 to $1000.

Since NW gives 2500 bonus miles for a new membership, that is a "discount" of $37.50, I'll bill it to my NW Visa for another 300 miles ($4.50), plus it gives me bonus points in their current 100K miles promotion that will probably earn me another 2000 miles ($30), so my net cost is around $228.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
tomvehoski said:
NW does not allow purchasing with miles. I don't know that I'd cash in 35K miles anyway. Miles are typically valued anywhere from $.01 to $.02 - I use $.015, so 35K miles = $525. For 30K I can get a business class upgrade to Europe worth $500 to $1000.

Since NW gives 2500 bonus miles for a new membership, that is a "discount" of $37.50, I'll bill it to my NW Visa for another 300 miles ($4.50), plus it gives me bonus points in their current 100K miles promotion that will probably earn me another 2000 miles ($30), so my net cost is around $228.
The reason miles are so hard to cash in for free flights is that so many road warriors are smart like tomvehoski in accumulating those miles. I recall some business executive bought some expensive car on his credit card for $100,000 + and with other credit card purchases made on behalf of family and company, accumulated one million miles in credits in less than three months.

T

tomvehoski

Airlines are also reducing the number of award seats available, or making you use double miles to eliminate restrictions. If you book early enough (or at the last minute) and can be flexible with your dates and routing you may be able to find what you want. Also look at partners - If you have NW miles, you can also spend them for flights on Delta, Continental, and any other skyteam partner. Same for the other alliances out there.

lindal

Involved In Discussions
This seemed like the most appropriate thread to post this in...

After several terrible, rotten, horrible business trips I vowed not to use certain airlines and airports again. Has anyone else done this? A few road warriors I know have mentioned that they will never fly through O'Hare if they can avoid it. Part of the point in my question is to find out what airlines and airports to avoid.

The other part is to wonder why aviation, which is such a regulated industry, seems to have no systems in place for continuous improvement. I know there are measurments obtained (on time departure, lost luggage), but what is done with the data?

Having said that, I will huddle in the corner while people throw things at me and explain how much better things are than they seem.

Thanks,
Linda

C

Craig H.

After several terrible, rotten, horrible business trips I vowed not to use certain airlines and airports again. Has anyone else done this? A few road warriors I know have mentioned that they will never fly through O'Hare if they can avoid it. Part of the point in my question is to find out what airlines and airports to avoid.

The other part is to wonder why aviation, which is such a regulated industry, seems to have no systems in place for continuous improvement. I know there are measurments obtained (on time departure, lost luggage), but what is done with the data?

Having said that, I will huddle in the corner while people throw things at me and explain how much better things are than they seem.

Thanks,
Linda

Avoid ASA out of Augusta (and Macon), GA if you really need to get where you are going on the day you plan to be there. Trust me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant

Thanks,
Linda

I assume every road warrior has a few horrible experiences. I have a few airports and airlines I avoid at all costs (US Air, American Airlines, Newark airport). Problem is, my worst list is what other travelers think are just fine. We each have our own war stories. But there are few consensus opinions...other than maybe Newark...

Top Bottom