Life on the Road - The worst business trip of my life

T

tomvehoski

As for avoiding individual airlines, every one of them has its good and bad points. The thing to remember is that any individual experience is statistically insignificant in the overall scheme of things. You can't draw the conclusion that airline X is bad because my flight last week was delayed, but airline Y is great because I got bumped up to first class three years ago. With millions of flights a year the 50-60 I take are still too small a sample to evaluate anything on a global basis.

Your airline of choice will often have more to do with where you live, where you fly and how much they charge. I do recommend you look at www.flyertalk.com where the pool of frequent travelers is large so you can start to draw some conclusions, but again what is good for me may be bad for someone else, so you have to form your own opinion.

You also can't rely on articles, statistics and so on. Jet Blue got blasted in the press because of their performace during the snowstorms earlier this year, but still ended up first in customer satisfaction in a recent survey.

Airports are a little easier to predict. I don't have much reason to go through O'hare, but I do hear it is one of the worst for delays. I personally avoid Atlanta - especially during the summer since a 20 minute thunderstorm can cause rolling delays for hours. Note these are two of the busiest airports in the country and are maxed out at capacity, so when something goes wrong it is tough to recover.

As for continuous improvement, the airline industry is mainly drivin by the cost of a ticket. Most travelers will pick whatever flight is $2 cheaper without regards to if, or where, they have to connect, are there pillows on board, what are the on-time numbers, etc. This has pushed airlines to cut amenities, staffing and anything else they can (pretty much anything but safety) to get their price to show as the lowest when you check for a flight online.

Simple advice is to get elite status with whatever airline works best with your routings and stick with them. This lets you line jump security, phone agents and other hassles. Join the club/lounge if their locations fit your travel so you have a calm place to relax in airports. Always expect things will be go wrong and plan accordingly. My rule of thumb is to expect to be two hours late domestic and a day late international. If one of those delays means I miss something of major importance, I pick an earlier flight.

C

Craig H.

Tom, while I agree with what you are saying for most airlines/flights, my "airline to avoid" has earned their clipped wings. It used to be an open secret that folks around here could drive 1 hour to Augusta and catch a small Delta jet to their connection in ATL. The walks, check in times, and general hassle were much less of a problem, and often there was little difference in ticket price. The service was very dependable.

Then, Delta gave the gates to ASA. They fly Brazilias and the like.

A couple of years ago I had a meeting in Baton Rouge. I had an ASA flight that was supposed to depart at 12:10PM. We got to AUG at around 11:00, and the flight was listed as delayed. That was all the info I could get out of the ticket counter. The plane for the 3:00 flight to ATL arrived, and those passengers were allowed to load, as the 12:10 passengers were made to leave the gate area. After the plane was loaded and the door closed (less than 30 seconds later) my flight was suddenly listed as canceled.

I could have driven to ATL in time to make my connection if I had been told at 12:00 that the plane was still in Macon, broken down, and would not be fixed until parts arrived the next day.

I had to scramble to rearrange my schedule. They lied to me for 4 hours, when the truth would have saved my trip.

So, yeah it was just one flight, and was my flight, but as far as I am concerned they can take their planes and........

T

tomvehoski

I've had the opposite experience with irregular operations with Delta, Northwest and KLM in the last year. I don't think that gate agents always intentionally lie about situations - I think it is more poor communication between dispatch, gate agents and maintenance. Not to mention the hope that the situation will be resolved and things can move on. How many people here have had a machine in the shop break down, plan an hour to fix it, then it turns to two hours, four and so on?

I had a gate agent with Delta in Huntsville, AL check all kinds of reroutes for me when I was delayed to ATL, then home to Detroit. It was weather that had caused ATL to have a meltdown, so I inquired about going via Cincinnati. He checked and said he could do it, but he advised against it since CVG was also having problems and there was no guarantee of my connection happening. ATL at least has more options, so I agreed to stick with my planned route. It was a not so fun Friday night eating dinner on the floor in ATL, but that is life. I will say that the Delta phone system is beyond useless with their voice activated system that never works with airport background noise.

Northwest sent me a text message last week that my flight was delayed an hour - about three hours before departure. I did some searching online and found the plane was late leaving Corning NY for Detroit, which then delayed the inbound to HSV, therefore delaying my flight. It was only an hour so I did not search for other options. NW did at least keep updating their website with estimated departure time, and it really turned into a 45 minute delay.

No matter what, business travel is not much fun.

Randy

Super Moderator
Let's see....12 hours to go from Houston Bush to Fort Smith, Arkansas by jet last Friday (about 500 airmiles). T'was a bit long that day.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
I've had the opposite experience with irregular operations with Delta, Northwest and KLM in the last year. I don't think that gate agents always intentionally lie about situations - I think it is more poor communication between dispatch, gate agents and maintenance. Not to mention the hope that the situation will be resolved and things can move on. How many people here have had a machine in the shop break down, plan an hour to fix it, then it turns to two hours, four and so on?

... I will say that the Delta phone system is beyond useless with their voice activated system that never works with airport background noise.

....No matter what, business travel is not much fun.

I don't think Delta and other airlines TELL their gate agents very much. The probably consider it "plausible deniability." I call it telling the truth slowly, and it causes a lot of hassles and difficulty. However, I use Delta as my main airline, and have learned how to manage it.

Delta's voice activated system has a keypad option. The first series of command options should tell you which key to press for the keypad option(#9?).

lindal

Involved In Discussions
Thank you all for the great information and support! It is very helpful. After hearing all these stories I realized that I'm less of a road "warrior" and more of a road "camp follower".

Randy

Super Moderator
...I think you could have hitchhiked that one, amigo...:D

Yeah, doesn't happen often, but it does happen. I wound up eating twice at DFW and talking with some real nice folks heading back to Iraq. (Their flight was delayed as well)

psyched1

Involved In Discussions
One of my worst experieces with travel happened in a Detriot Hotel. My wife warned me about the crime rate in Detriot before I left.

I checked in around 11:00pm after getting a delayed flight. Around 2:00 am I heard a scratching sound barely awake I noticed that someone was trying to open the door to my room. I had put the safety bolt on. I Jumped up and ran down the small corridor and put my weight into the door (Im a big guy). whoever was on the otherside of the door went stumbling backwards. I quickly opened the door and jumped out on top of him. As my sleepy eyes noticed he was in a suit and possed little threat value. The terrified man explained that he was booked into my room. I grabbed his key card and tried it in the door keeping an eye on him and it lit green (this was a good thing cause in my haste I was standing locked outside my room in my underwear). I apologized and went back to the room.

I called down to the desk clerk and they had no record of my checking in Grrrr. The desk clerk quickly fixed the error. The next morning I spoke to the manager who gave me two free nights stay. Needless to say I never stay in economy hotels anymore while on business. The guy I knocked down was very nice about it at the breakfast buffet the next morning. He also got two free nights stay.

C

Craig H.

One of my worst experieces with travel happened in a Detriot Hotel. My wife warned me about the crime rate in Detriot before I left.

I checked in around 11:00pm after getting a delayed flight. Around 2:00 am I heard a scratching sound barely awake I noticed that someone was trying to open the door to my room. I had put the safety bolt on. I Jumped up and ran down the small corridor and put my weight into the door (Im a big guy). whoever was on the otherside of the door went stumbling backwards. I quickly opened the door and jumped out on top of him. As my sleepy eyes noticed he was in a suit and possed little threat value. The terrified man explained that he was booked into my room. I grabbed his key card and tried it in the door keeping an eye on him and it lit green (this was a good thing cause in my haste I was standing locked outside my room in my underwear). I apologized and went back to the room.

I called down to the desk clerk and they had no record of my checking in Grrrr. The desk clerk quickly fixed the error. The next morning I spoke to the manager who gave me two free nights stay. Needless to say I never stay in economy hotels anymore while on business. The guy I knocked down was very nice about it at the breakfast buffet the next morning. He also got two free nights stay.

You think you had a bad experience, what about the other guy? Imagine a long day, and finally getting to YOUR room, unlocking the door and being "rejected" onto the floor by some crazy guy in his underwear. Yikes, Detroit is a tough place.:lmao:

Top Bottom