Management Review (integrated system)

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Do you have a newly-registered QMS, or are you seeking registration? In general, the timing of management review meetings (which aren't required, btw) should be whatever works for you, regardless of internal audits.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
As Jim says...whatever works for you.
We (Top Management) met every Monday morning for a variety of reasons:
- Previous week sales
- Customers/Orders of significance
- Ongoing projects (typically R&D) updates
- HR issues/employee issues
- anything else worthy of having everyone aware of it.
- Upcoming events of note: customer visits that week, external audits that week, significant absences/vacation, etc.
(Note that all of this was running a business, completely ignoring any standard(s). )

Since we were meeting anyway, we simply noted the discussion as "Management Review" and quickly mentioned that XYZ department was audited (internal) last week with one finding and a CA had already been discussed.

Let 'running the business well' be in charge...let ISO or any of the other standards follow.
Letting ISO guide you is a path to frustration IMO. HTH

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
How often do you do management reviews? I would hope more than once per year.

Nothing requires all of the subclauses to be covered in each management review. I had a client that scheduled a review of a particular topic each month. In this way they could examine the subjects in enough detail as to make the activity beneficial.

It makes sense to include the subject part of the management system's most recent internal audit part of that management review, rather than wait until the end of the year or similar. It also makes sense to cover the external audit (also customer audits) without waiting.

Last edited:

Randy

Super Moderator
It's too bad that folks refuse to recognize and acknowledge that every time they have some type of leadership/business/operations/production/management/or whatever a whoop dee do chat time meeting name they want to use, elements of MANAGEMENT REVIEW are always involved and it would simply be to capture (document) what happens and then fill in the blanks with what's missing ...........OH NOOOO IT CAN"T BE THAT SIMPLE!!!!! REALLY? PROVE IT!

I've seen it done, makes auditing a bit challenging because of the multiple documents involved, but I've seen it done.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
I second that Randy. Too often people do what they think will make it easier for the auditor. In my current organization we've basically moved completely away from the 'annual management review'. concept - although there ahs been substantial resistance in many areas within the company because the annual review is easy. everyone knows it's meaningless but you know the check the box mentality is strong in many organizations...

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
We do one, complete, all-inclusive Management Review per year covering every item in the standard, and at least 24 other Management Reviews with a subset of those topics.

outdoorsNW

Quite Involved in Discussions
We do a quarterly management review where around 90% is the same each quarter and 10% varies over the year. We are high mix job shop, so there is a lot of short term noise in most data due to product mix. A quarter is long enough to see trends but not let a problem go too long.

We also have a twice a month quality meeting focusing on immediate issues and short term data.

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
We have a weekly managers meeting every Friday morning. Each month, two of them are for reviewing management action items, one of them is for reviewing corrective actions, and one of them is for reviewing performance indicators. Once per year, we have a QMS review that covers everything listed in AS9100D 9.3.2 a-f. Since we cover most of c during our weekly meeting, a lot of those items simply refer to the weekly meeting minutes.

None of that has anything to do with when an internal or external audit is happening.

Last edited:

ALEONARD

Registered
As Jim says...whatever works for you.
We (Top Management) met every Monday morning for a variety of reasons:
- Previous week sales
- Customers/Orders of significance
- Ongoing projects (typically R&D) updates
- HR issues/employee issues
- anything else worthy of having everyone aware of it.
- Upcoming events of note: customer visits that week, external audits that week, significant absences/vacation, etc.
(Note that all of this was running a business, completely ignoring any standard(s). )

Since we were meeting anyway, we simply noted the discussion as "Management Review" and quickly mentioned that XYZ department was audited (internal) last week with one finding and a CA had already been discussed.

Let 'running the business well' be in charge...let ISO or any of the other standards follow.
Letting ISO guide you is a path to frustration IMO. HTH
I agree with this method - let the business drive the meetings...however, would you agree that this method, while good for the business, is a little more tricky to capture MRM notes or not?

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
I agree with this method - let the business drive the meetings...however, would you agree that this method, while good for the business, is a little more tricky to capture MRM notes or not?
It could be as simple as a list of actions to be taken by various people (to keep track of them in case they move around or leave) or "none" if there are none. The standards use the term "outputs" so we will feel we have freedom to use the format that works best for the organization.

Top Bottom