Monitoring Training Stimulus - Faculties vs. Skills

S

savda

Monitoring training stimulus?

IMHO every process of education and training should be development of faculties; at times skills additionally?

We have conventional education i.e. building up a child to an adult qualified person, and then inculcating job/ skill oriented training. ( Both may be concurrently carried out, former however having a precedence over latter).

What checks/ performance factors and monitoring devices do we instal therein ( in each one of them separately, or in common) so that we maintain due quality in education and training? Please help.

Savda

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
I'm not quite sure I understand what you are asking. Are you looking for methods to evaluate how effective training is?

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Leader
Admin
Savda,

I hope that I have understood your comments and questions correctly, so if I’m off topic, please pardon me.

I agree with your assertion that the processes of education and training are for the development of faculties. I believe this is an important distinction because the process of educating/training folks to be ‘thinkers/learners’ is paramount to rating schemes to determine rank-and-file. Sadly, here in the West, the prevailing paradigm is to rank/rate people. Is this ranking accurate? Does the ranking measure the right things? Is this ranking important? My answer for all three questions: No.

The AIM of education should be the creation of lifelong learners. Learn to think and develop this as a skill as you would any other thing. Make the development of this skill a lifelong project. If you/me/we believe that by becoming a better thinker that this will lead to better developments for mankind, will performance metrics be important or useful? I think that the majority would conclude that the most important outcome is that we continue to advance (measured subjectively, ‘gut-feel’ perhaps). Most would also conclude that an objective measurement system will never be created.

Regards,

Kevin

P

pthareja

Performance metrics in Training

savda said:
What checks/ performance factors and monitoring devices do we instal so that we maintain due quality in education and training? Please help.

Savda

Kevin said:
If you/me/we believe that by becoming a better thinker that this will lead to better developments for mankind, will performance metrics be important or useful? I think that the majority would conclude that the most important outcome is that we continue to advance (measured subjectively, ‘gut-feel’ perhaps). Most would also conclude that an objective measurement system will never be created.

Good thread.
We have short term performance measurement, medium term and long term.

Say, If I am involved in training, ascertaining learning stimulus is my responsibility. Do I ask a question, or notice some metrics, or what ever; depends upon the situation. After the class the feed back or customer satisfaction would dictate how much attention have i got. And the number or standard of questions the simplicity I imparted to the lecture. Pass percentage or marks the success of the curriculum.

whether the performance metrics can genuinly be designed or not is a different question.
Kevin said:
I agree with your assertion that the processes of education and training are for the development of faculties. I believe this is an important distinction because the process of educating/training folks to be ‘thinkers/learners’ is paramount to rating schemes to determine rank-and-file. Sadly, here in the West, the prevailing paradigm is to rank/rate people. Is this ranking accurate? Does the ranking measure the right things? Is this ranking important? My answer for all three questions: No.
I repeat what kevin said Is this ranking important? My answer for all three questions: No. I am afraid I did not understand it? Because , it is said, ' what is not measured is not controlled"

pthareja

S

savda

evaluating training effectiveness

RCBeyette said:
I'm not quite sure I understand what you are asking. Are you looking for methods to evaluate how effective training is?
I have two things in my mind concurrently bothering me.
1. Training, and
2. Education ( conventional school or college education)

You are right in same platform as I am. Of the methods to evaluate how effective training is. and the education we impart at schools and colleges.

savda

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Leader
Admin
1. For Training: I have come to use a method shown to me as Pre-sampling and Post-sampling. I create a series of questions that I give a student body prior to creating a Training program. Everyone takes the presample (like a quiz, but I don't grade it and normally don't require that a person sign their name to it) and review the results for areas that need special attention. I use simple Pareto here. The Training program I design around these identified areas, perform the training, and later require a postsample to determine effectiveness. As appropriate, the training is tailored further. I don't use grades (i.e. 8 out of 10 questions results in an '80') as they aren't all that helpful.

2. For Education: however I might feel about grading, this is the predominant methodology here in the West. If you have the time, I would like to refer you to some reading. Do a search on Cooperational/Collaborative Learning. Use "Siska, Alaska", "Mt. Edgecombe","Myron Tribus","David Langford" to refine your search (on the internet). There is tons of reading/papers out there that will show you another side to grading folks "on the curve".

Happy reading,

Kevin

P

pthareja

Monitoring Training and education effectiveness

kevin,
I have tried pre-sampling earlier, in a conventional lecture class ( Foundry technology, welding, powder metallurgy) in my engineering curriculum, but but seeing in any promises. But now perhaps I think that my design of test paper was faulty. Or perhaps the maturity level of the student has an effect on the usefulness of this programme in a conventional engineering class?
Using pareto is a good idea. Perhaps re-using the technique should give me a clue to my possible mistakes.

I started teaching total quality management only from the last 6 months. Next month would have an opportunity to start afresh with a neww class. However I managed to give them two sessions before the semester begins in Jan 04. So they are indeed expecting a good time as they faced its inflation in their placement interviews, when the feed back, and the outcome ( from employer organisation) all were greatly above their expectations.

May I request for a sample each of your test paper, in pre-sampling, and same after your programme.

Thank You,
[email protected]
[email protected]

P

pthareja

greetings!

Kevin,
I should have rather congratulated you in my salutations ( both were absent)for effectively applying a technique for monitoring trainee evaluation.
My apologies.
and Thank you
thareja

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
savda said:
I have two things in my mind concurrently bothering me.
1. Training, and
2. Education ( conventional school or college education)

You are right in same platform as I am. Of the methods to evaluate how effective training is. and the education we impart at schools and colleges.

savda

Evaluating the effectiveness is difficult to do, in my opinion. The traditional method is, of course, testing. But how do tests prepare us for the real world? What I mean is that in the real world, seldom do we need to memorize all the facts for jobs. That is why we have reference material. I find open-book exams to be more effective at testing the knowledge of the student. Not only does it teach them how to find the information necessary to answer the question, but how to apply it, as well. Tests that rely only on memorized content serve little purpose for me.

It is most likely easier to evaluate the effectiveness of training. Training implies useing the skills that have been taught to you.

Where I work, I train our Internal Auditors over the course of 2 - 3 days. They are then evaluated on 2 audits to assess how well they have learned the topics, which also conveys to me how well I have communicated the material. If new Internal Auditors continually struggle with, let's say, understanding ISO 9001:2000, I will look at how I impart this knowledge onto them.

Top Bottom