MSA for Documentation Checks

KittyMc

Registered
Hello, We have recently had our IATF recertification audit and was advised by our auditor to look at items on the control plan where the control is stated as a visual check. We have MSA's to cover visual check of parts but the comment was specifically directed towards visual checks on documentation for example Good's Inwards documentation check to ensure the correct quantity and material have been received. This is not something I have considered doing an MSA on as there is no measurement gauge as such or visual standard to compare to.
Does anyone have experience of carrying out an MSA on a visual documentation check and how was the MSA carried out?

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
While an attribute MSA could be carried out on this, the question is should one be done. The auditor is probably basing this on a requirement that everything on a control plan needs an MSA. So, you need to decide whether quantity and material need to be on the control plan. Can it simply be part of the receiving process?

KittyMc

Registered
The Control Plans we are working with include the Goods In and Despatch processes. Are these processes not required on the Control Plan? This is where the majority of the visual documentation checks are. Thank you.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
That usually depends on your customers. I would not start with them on your control plan beyond receiving inspection and final inspections. Quantities are not typically part of the inspection unless a customer has mandated it. In 40+ years, I have only had one customer SQE as for receiving and shipping to be included in a PFMEA, but did not request it in the control plan.

KittyMc

Registered
Ok Thank you for the information.
In the event that my company continues with these process steps being in the control plan, would you suggest standard Attribute MSA rules with samples of correct documentation and documents with errors that should be caught at that process step?
3 operators, 3 trials 20+ documents in total.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Unless you really like the guy, ask for a new auditor. Yeah, I get it. Everything on the control plan needs to have a MSA associated with it. But, real life takes over and some controls are verification of paperwork. For example, we have on ours for receiving material -- verification of the material type via the packing list/cert. Been that way for 20+ years -- no harm, no foul. In this instance, to spend time on an MSA for checking a document is a complete waste.

Your attribute MSA would probably work. What's he going to say?

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
Ok Thank you for the information.
In the event that my company continues with these process steps being in the control plan, would you suggest standard Attribute MSA rules with samples of correct documentation and documents with errors that should be caught at that process step?
3 operators, 3 trials 20+ documents in total.
If you decide to go that route, then the standard attribute MSA will work. Do they go by the paperwork/labels only, or do they look at the physical parts? If they look at the physical parts, you should use similar looking parts if available. When I was in automotive, we received/shipped RH/LH product that could easily be confused.

Top Bottom