MySQL - PHP Document Control (Free!)

G

Greg B

Thanks for this link and recommendation, Greg. I've been struggling with a dodgy Access database I created and searched the forum for an answer. As always, I got what I was looking for!

I don't intend to use it for general access, but it looks as though it might be a useful administration system.
You are most welcome. We are still using this FREE software nearly four years later and have had NO problems with it. It is regulary updated and we often send in suggestions for improvements :)

T

Tupham - 2008

Further to this, I've been playing around with MyDMS for a couple of days. It's got lots of good document management functionality, but there's NO reporting in it. :mg: I looked at the database tables and would need to develop a front end that joins several tables to produce any kind of report - even for a list of documents!

I asked the suppliers about reports and their response was:
MyDMS is a poor vehicle for what you need. We too are ISO 9K1 and use MyDMS for our DMS system (which is very good BTW) as well as out library of reference documents (AMS, ASM, ASTM, etc.). The best for a MRM application I've found is DotProject. Use the MS Project 2007 template as a guide or build your own to suit your needs. Make sure it has the required elements and you'll do fine.
You'll have to create a template complete with dates. But once made you can import it into any new project and change the dates (that's what MS 2K7 does).
I know MyDMS is free, but I can't see the point in working with multiple systems. :nope: Back to the old drawing board!

B

Benjamin28

Mike wrote,

"Carol,
Here you go
Tom and Jerry is my favorite cartoon. What is yours?
Mike"

Basically, anyone can find a crack program on google, these typically will use brute force and 1 processor and beat on the password till it figures it out. RC4 has been breakable for a good long while now. The password protection on MS word documents is good (cracking this document took about 12 hours with multiple processors running it) but if you really need security on a document you're much better off with .pdf.

For the record, mine is Roadrunner and Coyote. Although I'm curious what Carol's is...I'm thinking Voltron.
:biglaugh:

G

Greg B

Further to this, I've been playing around with MyDMS for a couple of days. It's got lots of good document management functionality, but there's NO reporting in it. :mg: I looked at the database tables and would need to develop a front end that joins several tables to produce any kind of report - even for a list of documents!

I asked the suppliers about reports and their response was:

I know MyDMS is free, but I can't see the point in working with multiple systems. :nope: Back to the old drawing board!

What type of reports do you require? If an auditor wants a report I just log him/her onto our system and he/she can review our documents. The reason we went electronic was so we Didn't have to produce ANY paper. As I said, it works extremely well for our company and has done for four years.

T

Tupham - 2008

What type of reports do you require? If an auditor wants a report I just log him/her onto our system and he/she can review our documents. The reason we went electronic was so we Didn't have to produce ANY paper. As I said, it works extremely well for our company and has done for four years.
Ah, to be working in a company where we could eliminate paper! The directors here don't even have a computer on their desks. Their email addresses are redirected to secretaries who print everything! :bonk: :mg: :bonk:

I need to produce some kind of reporting for management review. At least something like a revisions register, which I currently produce from my Access database.

J

jschuld

Re: Document Register

Is this software still out there and supported?
Jer

Sajith

Starting to get Involved
Dear Cathy,

I have no prior experience in programming. You must be a maverick to have done so much in a single day.

I sure am interested in reading about your intranet based Document Control Software. What platform is the software based on? Does it have department specific login controls etc.? I am toying with the idea of suggesting this kinda software to my company. Is it possible that you send me a copy for review?

Many thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Sajith.

I agree with Bob and M,

I opened it up, started the demo and I immediately thought it was too complicated. I am going to have a better look at it later but I know for sure no-one in my organisation would look at it. Maybe in a larger company this type of thing might work.

What I did for my Document control was designed an intranet and saved all linked documents to read only folders. Like M says, it simple. I have made the intranet very user friendly and as interesting as possible. I use it to display photographs of nights out, make important social announcements and of course, for all QMS documentation, forms, logs, databases - the works.

It took a day to set up. That was 4 months ago and now staff from other departments are happy to log in, check out the dates for the next night out and look up the latest news on the quality front. I know its a bit of bribe...but it works.

I would be happy to share the concept and set up with anyone who is interested.

Cathy

Top Bottom