Need advice -- problem solving workshop

C

ccochran

Hello, all:

I need some advice from the smart folks at The Cove. In the next couple of weeks, I will present a problem solving workshop to a plant of about 110 people. All 110 people will attend the workshop and I will be the only instructor (yikes!). The students will divide into groups of about 6-7 people and apply a simple problem solving method to the problem of making a cup of coffee with an automatic drip coffee maker. Each group will have their own coffee maker and set of supplies. The problem solving method, as well as the analytical tools, will be quite simple: cause and effect diagram, nominal group technique, Pareto diagram, etc. Here’s where I need help. I need to “gently” sabotage the coffee makers so that the groups have a problem facing them. Here are some of the ideas I came up with:

*** Coffee grounds: Add pepper, tobacco, or some other substance that will cause the coffee to taste bad.

*** Filters: Spray something on them that will cause them to perform poorly or leave a bad taste.

*** Coffee pot: Let a little clear liquid soap dry in the bottom of the pot.

*** Filter basket: Add a dark substance (that will mix in with the dark plastic) that will mix with the coffee and cause a bad taste.

*** Water reservoir: Do the same type of thing I do to the filter basket (see above).

*** Sugar bowl: Spike it with salt.

*** Coffee cups: Let a little clear liquid soap dry in the bottoms.

Can anyone think of other ways I can mess with the equipment and supplies in order to cause a problem that must be solved? The problems probably shouldn’t be overly technical (e.g., disconnect the wiring). I’d be very interested in hearing your ideas.

Talk to you soon,
Craig
[email protected]

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Why give them coffee grounds at all?....try coffee beans. :)

12 cup coffee maker & 12 cups...13 people and all want coffee.

Acquisition of resources...give some people doubles of a supply (e.g., two coffee makers), but no sugar...forces interaction of the groups.

No device to measure the amount of coffee grounds, but a specific amount must go into the filter.

C

ccochran

Roxane,

I hoped you would respond. Great ideas! Your thoughts broke me out of my tunnel vision.

Everybody else-- Any ideas?

Thanks!
CC

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Cari Spears said:
My fellow coffee connoisseur! I was going to suggest the espresso grind. :agree1:

Speaking of espresso (I could sooooo use one or two right now), give the teams some monopoly money and a shopping list of what they need. Provide them with various types of coffees (including espresso), creamers, sugars, cups, stir stiks, coffee makers (including espresso machine), filters, tables/counters, trays, silverware, etc....and the "prices" (include pictures of the components)

The teams must make up their own coffee stations without going over budget
See who comes up with the nicest looking coffee set-up...the teams walk around voting on other teams set-ups (they can not vote for their own).

Take away spoons and stir sticks!...how do they put the coffee condiments in and "stir" them?

Too bad it can't get technical. I mean...picture this..."You're stranded on a deserted island, with only your wits and everything you need for a decent cup of coffee. There's no power outlet nearby and you doubt electricity has ever laid voltage on this island. What do you do?"

I know that if Cari and I were on the same team, we'd say build a raft and paddle to the nearest Starbucks. :D

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
say it ain't so!

RCBeyette said:
I know that if Cari and I were on the same team, we'd say build a raft and paddle to the nearest Starbucks. :D
I'm still in shock anyone could conceive of sabotaging coffee. I've worked in places that would be a capital crime, with no shortage of Judge Roy Beans (the "law west of the Pecos") to administer justice.

The main problem for the saboteur would be to stay alive long enough for the "trial."

C

ccochran

Wes,

Yes, there's risk in the concept. I will scout all exits ahead of time in case I have to hot-foot it out of there. Nothing motivates problem solving like the need for caffeine, though. I believe everyone will be focused on trying to fix the problem.

Craig

R

Rob Nix

Great ideas so far. I'd add more but I really need a coffee to overcome my after-lunch lethargy.

One caution though, Craig. Be careful that the stuff you use to "sabotage" the coffee doesn't make someone sick, especially those with allergies or sensitive stomachs; that would put quite a damper on things.

The problem with good taste vs. bad taste is it is so subjective. Steve Prevette suggests an exercise that is more objective. However, if using the coffee makers, perhaps measure how long it takes to make the coffee. variables could be measuring device (how much grounds), temperature of maker during brewing, type of coffee (fine/coarse), plugged holes, filter types, etc.

Q

Quality101

Use onions!

How about adding decaffeinated coffee, or cut big pieces of onions and put it in the coffee and leave out as long as you can so its stale & stinky. Just take out the onions before the class.

Top Bottom