Need help developing an ECO (Engineering Change order) procedure

T

TylerG

Hello All,

I'm new to these forums and also the world of manufacturing. Let me give you some background as it might give you a little context on my knowledge base (or lack thereof) and also to introduce myself a bit as i think this forum is a great resource and i will probably be visiting frequently.

I graduated recently with a degree in business administration and I'm in the process of obtaining my CPIM from APICS. I will probably return to university soon to pursue a degree in industrial engineering.

I recently got a job in document control at a contract manufacturer building circuit boards in the silicon valley. The company has about 120 employees. I've only been here for about a month but i have been training in almost every department in what i can only assume to be grooming for management.

Now my issue:

They have asked me to write an ECO procedure and flow chart as well as create an ECO document. We have recently ran into some issues completing the requests.

one example:

a customer sent us an ECO in the form of an email to remove a part off of an assembly
the PM sent the email to doc control
DOC control to production to be completed

however:
the assembly was already in finished goods and we shipped the wrong revision to the customer... it had to be sent back to complete the rework and up the revision.

I've done some research over the last 48 hours and the problems as i see it:

1. no eco or ecr form was filled out
2. no meeting was held with respective parties to notify them in person
3. it is hard to track products through the production process to know where they are within our manufacturing process if you don't have an intimate knowledge (i.e. part of the production team)
4. there is no validation process that the ECO has been completed so it can be closed.

so I have a few ideas on how to solve these issues within my organization. However, after stumbling on this resource and reading some of the threads, i would be interested to know some input from some of the deeply experienced individuals here. Any and all accolades and advice is welcome and will be well appreciated.

Also, i've searched through the index of PDF files and didn't see any templates for ECO documents or and examples of ECO procedures for comparison. Is there a place on this forum or an online resource available for someone in my predicament?

Thank you in advance!! :bigwave:

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Hello All,

I'm new to these forums and also the world of manufacturing. Let me give you some background as it might give you a little context on my knowledge base (or lack thereof) and also to introduce myself a bit as i think this forum is a great resource and i will probably be visiting frequently.

I graduated recently with a degree in business administration and I'm in the process of obtaining my CPIM from APICS. I will probably return to university soon to pursue a degree in industrial engineering.

I recently got a job in document control at a contract manufacturer building circuit boards in the silicon valley. The company has about 120 employees. I've only been here for about a month but i have been training in almost every department in what i can only assume to be grooming for management.

Now my issue:

They have asked me to write an ECO procedure and flow chart as well as create an ECO document. We have recently ran into some issues completing the requests.

one example:

a customer sent us an ECO in the form of an email to remove a part off of an assembly
the PM sent the email to doc control
DOC control to production to be completed

however:
the assembly was already in finished goods and we shipped the wrong revision to the customer... it had to be sent back to complete the rework and up the revision.

I've done some research over the last 48 hours and the problems as i see it:

1. no eco or ecr form was filled out
2. no meeting was held with respective parties to notify them in person
3. it is hard to track products through the production process to know where they are within our manufacturing process if you don't have an intimate knowledge (i.e. part of the production team)
4. there is no validation process that the ECO has been completed so it can be closed.

so I have a few ideas on how to solve these issues within my organization. However, after stumbling on this resource and reading some of the threads, i would be interested to know some input from some of the deeply experienced individuals here. Any and all accolades and advice is welcome and will be well appreciated.

Also, i've searched through the index of PDF files and didn't see any templates for ECO documents or and examples of ECO procedures for comparison. Is there a place on this forum or an online resource available for someone in my predicament?

Thank you in advance!! :bigwave:
Eight years ago, I wrote this following post (note the link to a sample form.) Not much has changed in the intervening years
All our Engineering Change Orders (to pass muster with the FAA) go through a process to determine the "impact" of the change. I redacted a computer form (to remove company ID) and printed it to show the checklist we consider for the process. Some changes have little or no impact and are dealt with accordingly. Others may have great impact and go through a process similar to a new design.

A non-impact change might be "changing fasteners in a non-user-accessible portion of a device from phillips head to star drive to accommodate assembly machines." It is important to note there is a point where the change is so drastic, it is no longer viable to consider it a change, but a new design, effectively obsoleting the original design.

I hope this helps you put your own changes into proper perspective and to help you form a "justification" when you do not go through a new verification and validation of the revised design.

Any questions about the form can be addressed in this thread. Attached Files: 1. Scan for viruses before using, 2. Please report any 'bad' files by Reporting this post, 3. Use at your Own Risk.
doc.gif
generic ECO.doc (37.5 KB, 2895 views)

T

TylerG

In the hours since posting this i have created the following ECR form. Anyone can feel free to use or as a template.

Attachments

• ECO Notification Form Tyler's Revision.xls
    47 KB · Views: 781
S

ssz102

i have not related ECO templates, but should be including as following:
1. define the receiver of ECO
2. ask customer when is implement for this ECO, and how to deal with the parts prior to production, including finish product and semi-product, even component or raw materials
3. put ECO to related dept and require them stop production immediately, meanwhile, segregate these parts and identify it clearly
4. check the quantity of finish parts and semi-parts or components&raw materials need to be changed, and then report to the customer
5. modify or change related drawing and Spec and inspection&operation instruction standard, the old revision drawing and related instructions must be obsoleted
6. if necessary, prepare FAIR to customer approval once again

Top Bottom