Need some Help on 8D fault tree analysis

Desouky_emad

Registered
Hi Team, I have audit finding and need some help on 8D fault tree analysis and would like to know if someone can help to work on that
I can send all details after
thank you

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Hi Team, I have audit finding and need some help on 8D fault tree analysis and would like to know if someone can help to work on that
I can send all details after
thank you
Welcome to the Cove. You need to provide the details of your question(s) in advance. Also, 8D and Fault Tree Analysis are different but related things.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Have you a cross functional team ready to bring their different perspectives*?

Do they have a clear idea of the problem to be solved?

*and to own the solution (removal of the root causes)?

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
As Jim stated, 8D and fault trees are different.

An 8D looks for 3 specific root causes: 1) the specific cause of the defect; 2) the specific reason it escaped detection and got to the customer, and; 3) what specifically went wrong with the QMS that allowed 1 & 2 to occur. However, the causal chain is usually considered to be a serial causal chain with single root causes for each.

A fault tree analysis does not assume a serial causal chain. It assumes that there will be multiple potential causes that will create many branches. The potential causal may have an OR relationship where one or the other make cause the defect by themselves. The potential causal may have an AND relationship where the two (or more) must act together to cause the defect (think of the fire triangle where you must have fuel, oxygen and heat to cause a fire).

Example:
1625157962267.png

Desouky_emad

Registered
The finding
1625161432598.png
my 8D
1625161413966.png
not sure if that enough information
I want to make sure do I have enough on my fault tree or need to add more information

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
This finding was not about the quality of the PFMEA. It was about the lack of follow through on the recommended actions. Don't put effort into the wrong thing. Just do a 5 Why on why these Recommended Actions were not implemented, why it was not detected and what failed in the QMS. A fault tree or a full-blown 8D is overkill on this.

Top Bottom