Out of spec. Gages

Bill Paskaruk

Registered
Again, this is all theoretical. I was going over a work instruction and didn't see anything referencing additional documentation to accompany a QE sign off for an out of spec. gage..
I appreciate everyone's input and will make the appropriate changes.

thanks again everyone!

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource
E.g., a 0-20” micrometer that might have the 0-5” range OOT, but the 5-20” range within spec. If the device is only used to verify dimensions in the 5-20” range, the limited OOT condition would be acceptable.
How would you know this if you did not calibrate it?

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
Well the first step in ‘calibration’ is to check the status regarding in or out of spec. Step 2 is to adjust back into spec any OOT gage or just slap a cal sticker on any in spec gage…so yeah. As long as you’re there why wouldn’t you adjust it back in? Seems like more work to not adjust then to adjust.

dwperron

Well the first step in ‘calibration’ is t check the status regardign in or out of spec.
Nope, that is calibration. Calibration is comparing the tool to a traceable reference standard.

Step 2 is to adjust back into spec in any OOT gage or just slap a cal sticker on any in spec gage…so yeah. As long as your there why wouldn’t you adjust it back in? Seems like more work to not adjust then to adjust.
Step 2 is adjustment, not calibration. Those terms are constantly being confused.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
Nope, that is calibration. Calibration is comparing the tool to a traceable reference standard.

Step 2 is adjustment, not calibration. Those terms are constantly being confused.
Yes that is the strict definition of the word calibration. However, you will note that I used quotation marks around calibration (yes I should have used double quotation marks…). Mainly because when most engineers, techs, operators, etc. think about “calibration” they think of both assessing the accuracy and adjusting if necessary: hence the phrase “in calibration”. (Although for some this means within the calibration cycle or valid time frame). After all no auditor worth their certificate would accept a literal interpretation of the term “calibration” to mean only assessing the accuracy. (Although I’d like to watch that! :popcorn: ) After all the intent of the relevant measuring and monitoring equipment clause is to ensure the accuracy of the measuring equipment. That has a strongly implied meaning that all applicable gages must have the necessary accuracy and therefore adjustment is a critical part of the entire process.

I don’t have a copy of the standard and can’t remember if the word adjustment is even in the clause….:oops:

dwperron

Yes that is the strict definition of the word calibration. However, you will note that I used quotation marks around calibration (yes I should have used double quotation marks…). Mainly because when most engineers, techs, operators, etc. think about “calibration” they think of both assessing the accuracy and adjusting if necessary: hence the phrase “in calibration”. (Although for some this means within the calibration cycle or valid time frame). After all no auditor worth their certificate would accept a literal interpretation of the term “calibration” to mean only assessing the accuracy. (Although I’d like to watch that! :popcorn: )
So we should ignore the actual definition of a term found in a Standards because a lot of people misuse it?
No auditor worth their certificate would accept a literal interpretation of what a "calibration" is?
Really?

After all the intent of the relevant measuring and monitoring equipment clause is to ensure the accuracy of the measuring equipment. That has a strongly implied meaning that all applicable gages must have the necessary accuracy and therefore adjustment is a critical part of the entire process.

I don’t have a copy of the standard and can’t remember if the word adjustment is even in the clause….:oops:
Yes, the intent is to assure that accurate measurements are being made, no dispute there. And if a tool is found to be out of tolerance you have to either adjust it back into tolerance, document the out of tolerance condition so it can be compensated for, or decommission the tool. But that adjustment is not the calibration. You can also adjust a tool that is within tolerance to "optimize" performance, and there are many philosophies regarding this practice. Adjustment is just another tool that is available to be used, but is it required?

Let's look at the standard. 7.1.5.2 covers this area: measuring equipment shall be:
a) calibrated or verified, or both, at specified intervals, or prior to use, against measurement standards traceable to international or national measurement standards...
c) safeguarded from adjustments, damage or deterioration that would invalidate the calibration status and subsequent measurement results
This is the only time the word "adjust" appears in the standard, and they are mentioned as something to be prevented (of course, these adjustments are not part of a calibration event). Adjustments are not mentioned as a requirement, and for good reasons.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
You misunderstand me. I am actually agreeing with you
You have also misinterpreted me

Top Bottom