Pin Gage Classifications - Use and tolerancing of Class XXX pin gages

Q

QE Bob

I am looking for an accessable document or web sight that can walk through the different classifications for pin gages. I am most interested in the use and tolerancing of what I have seen advertised as Class XXX pin gages. Would anybody know of such a doc or sight.

Thanks

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
Try this link https://www.newsontool.com/03_18%5B2%5D.html You can find additional links by googling "gagemakers tolerances".

Be careful not to buy tighter toleranced gages than you actually need. You will not only pay more up front, but will also pay more at each calibration interval. You also need to specify how the tolerance is to be applied, such as Go, No-Go, or bilateral. If you anticipate high usage, you may also want to invest in premium wear-resistant materials.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Not every gage manufacturer makes XXX class gages. This is a chart from an interactive "calculator" for determining which class gage to use given the product tolerances. The chart gives an idea of XXX class tolerance for a variety of gage sizes.

Attachments

• gage class chart.bmp
    1.1 MB · Views: 558

Wayne

Gage Crib Worldwide
Wes Bucey said:
This is a chart from an interactive "calculator" for determining which class gage to use given the product tolerances.
I pulled up the image, but it was unreadable on my computer. Here is a link to an on-line interactive calculator which calculates in inches or millimeters.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Depending on browser and screen setting, images sometimes come up in a "squeezed view." When one uses IE browser, one gets an icon when scrolling over the image with the mouse cursor which looks like this (a box with arrows at the corners) - clicking on that box expands the image to a more readable view.

Alternately, one can right click on the link and save to disk to look at with some program other than a browser.

Attachments

• Pin Gage Classifications - Use and tolerancing of Class XXX pin gages
    sizer.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 176

Wayne

Gage Crib Worldwide
Wes Bucey said:
Depending on browser and screen setting, images sometimes come up in a "squeezed view." ...
Thanks Wes. I looked at the image on a different computer and all was fine. Regardless, did you look at the interactive calculator link provided? The same data is present and it is functional (using the 10% product tolerance rule).

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Yes, I looked. Both calculators are similar. Vermont Gage offers its download here https://www.vermontgage.com/

I wish I would have had either one when I was in the machining business. However, if folks are buying gages in onesy-twosy quantities, it is simple enough to just give the data to a trusted (approved) supplier of gages and have them do their thing.

One of the beauties of REALLY partnering with your suppliers is that you can trust them to look out for you to repay your loyalty. I looked out for my customers and we often worked out changes to designs in the concurrent engineering phase of Contract Review to develop a product that would be better or less expensive. Similarly, my suppliers of steel and alloy would ensure every bar in my purchase came from the same heat to help ensure uniformity of machining characteristics. My tool bit suppliers would be in every week with new bits and bit designs for consideration in DOE on long running orders. My machine tool suppliers would call or drop by with ideas on new feed and speed combinations to increase efficiency of material removal and extend tool bit life. My gage manufacturers ensured every gage of the same size was calibrated to the same master.

It was a wonderful feeling to be rid of any paranoia when dealing with my suppliers. I considered them the experts in what they did and treated them with the respect they deserved. In return, they didn't gouge me on pricing and my net costs were far less than they might have been if I had to add in layers of soft costs to "police" them. The amount of money they may have saved me in avoiding blind alleys and false starts is incalculable.

Attachments

• Pin Gage Classifications - Use and tolerancing of Class XXX pin gages
    Vermont gage.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 177
Top Bottom