Pipette Calibration - Use Pressure Standard or Standard Pressure Value for Z Factor

BCQuality76

Starting to get Involved
Does anyone here know if it is acceptable to use a standard pressure value (ex. 760 mmHg) instead of an air pressure standard while calibrating pipettes?

Almost everything I'm reading seems to indicate the air pressure of the test environment "shall be recorded", which sounds like a pressure standard is required. My current calibration provider uses the standard value and cannot provide a rationale for doing so, other than the difference is insignificant. Use of a pressure standard would be at our request and possibly affect their ability to perform calibration at our facility. They are 17025 accredited for pipette calibrations.

This came about from a NB auditor with a metrology background challenging how our provider was performing their calibrations.

I've reached out to the provider for our other facility, and they record the actual air pressure. Another company I reached out to said they didn't use a pressure standard, but would need to show us a demo (rather than just describe for some reason) to see what they do.

I feel like we've overcomplicated this issue but I just want something more concrete (standard, guidance, or best practice) that I can provide the NB auditor when they follow up. I've read more about pipettes, air pressure, and z-factor than I ever thought I would.

Thank you, in advance.

BCQuality76

Starting to get Involved
The following white paper shows that barometric pressure is not a significant contributor to the measurement uncertainty and can be discounted:

https://www.aandd.jp/support/materials/pt_testers_uncertainty.pdf
Thank you! I don't recall coming across this during my frantic googling on the topic.

I think the auditor zeroed in on this because the provider didn't report a pressure standard on the certificate (though they did record their standard pressure value). This should help me resolve the issue. Thank you again.

Top Bottom