Definition Policy vs. Procedure - Vocabulary / Terminology - Definition of Policy vs. Procedure

T

Telefonia

Hi, i think im confused on a terminology, and i hope you can help me.

Im having trouble with the definition of

Policies
Procedures

could some one help me with that?

Thanx

E Wall

Just Me!
Trusted Information Resource
Ahhh, the Abstract!

The first source should be the Q9000-2000 (if you are transitioning or certifying to the ISO 9001:2000 standard) which is the normative reference for the standard. This does not define policies per se only Quality Policy, but does provide a definition for procedure:

3.4.5 Procedure: specified way to carry out an activity or a process. Note 1: Procedures can be documented or not. Note 2: When a procedure is documented, the term "written procedure" or "documented procedure" is frequently used. The document that contains a procedure can be called a "procedure document".

For Quality Policy:
3.2.4 Quality Policy - overall intentions and direction of an organization related to quality as formally expressed by top management. Note 1: Generally the quality policy is consistent with the overall policy of the organization and provides a framework for the setting of quality objectives. Note 2: Quality management priciples presented in this International Standard can form a basis for the establishment of a quality policy.

However, I've also gone to Wordsmyth and provide the definitions listed:

Policy: a set of principles that is used as a guide for action, esp. in a government or business.

Procedures: a series of actions necessary for accomplishing a particular goal; course of action.

I hope this helps!

PS: Marc has many links, which is where I found Wordsmyth, on his links page - Cayman Links Page

Last edited:
T

Telefonia

Thanx, that was very helpfull.

You see, i have the standars here in my desk, and i check that earlier and i still have many issues about that.

Lets see if im right, please correct me if im wrong, im open to suggestions.

I have my department manual (like a quality manual for each department), then i have my policies that sustent my manual and it is directions of the company to do busines, then procedures sustent my policies that its gona tell me all the thing that i need to do to acomplish my policies, and my instructions document sustent my procedures its used to describe a specific use of a resource.

I hope my english get better as i getting old.

Thanx

E Wall

Just Me!
Trusted Information Resource
Looks good to me

Your english is fine and much better than my spanish!

By the way, Welcome to the Cove! :bigwave:

I am more familiar with policies before the quality manual phase, but that may just be how we're using the words. What you have described sounds very well structured.

T

Telefonia

Definitions

Hi,
I need your advice on this.

I need your definitions on:

Manuals
Procedures
Policies
User guide or handbook.

thax

Top Bottom