Post-Interview Decision Making

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
I guess there were multiple job openings, but we were being interviewed for the same position in the same department, as that department happens to be the bread and butter of the company and they are looking forward to expand it. We had the same decision makers as the interview panel was the same for all of us, its just that they interviewed us at different times in the smae day.

I had already sent them thank-you letters within 24 hrs of my interview, so am just waiting for their decision.

Thanks everyone for your replies.
This pretty much explains EVERYTHING.
Your classmate is first choice, but he has not gone through formal acceptance and vetting (salary and benefits agreement, criminal history, drug drop, etc.)

If he refuses the offer or fails the final vetting, your candidacy is still alive. If not, you get a "Dear John" letter wishing you good luck in the future.

My colleagues are correct - you will get a lot of useful information by reading through these threads:
Thinking about a New Job for New Year?
Resume and cover letter - How good are yours?
Tips to get past the "gatekeeper" when job hunting
The Job Hunt - Care and feeding of references

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Good responses from my fellow Covers.

If your friend has not been hired yet there may be something amiss with his process. It could also be that the HR person is busy. At an Unemployed Professionals meeting an HR speaker told us not to give up; that their silence didn't mean they are not interested, it means they have not gotten back to you. Let's face the fact that the job hunting etiquette is not equal. HR people sometimes never send letters. It's frustrating but a job seeker must not allow him/herself to become unnerved by it.

I didn't catch how long ago your interview was. In as little time as one week following your last thank-you letter it is not too soon to send another.

Like I've read, make no mention of the other candidates. Instead thank them again for their consideration and reiterate why, in terms specific to the company's mission or other initiatives you have learned about through an Internet search, you'd find the position such a good fit and so appealing.

A

Al Dyer

In addition to the thank you letter, I have found that a call to the interviewer within 2-3 days can be informative and boost the chance of employment. Also, while it is good to call, if you are directed to leave a message, leave only one message. Multiple messages can really put out some people.

Al...

A

apocalypse_pp

I had this interview on Wednesday. So do you suggest me giving an inquiry call maybe on Tuesday or Wednesday? They had told me to wait until the next weekend.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Wait until the time they indicated. Until then it is premature to act or assume otherwise.

The job hunting and selection process is rather like a courtship. Sometimes it's hard to fathom why we are not chosen. The fact is, the decision to hire one or the other rests purely with them. If the other person was hired, maybe it was the right thing for them for reasons we don't understand. We often never find out, but we must keep on until we find our place.

I have found it's important to be circumspect about such things. Projecting a winning attitude is important, even when it seems we have not won at first. After all, once the moment has passed another might arise. It worked that way for me.

So, if you get a rejection letter then promptly reply with thanks for their time and your hope for consideration for future positions. The fact is, you got an interview and you have a name and address to contact for further interest if you should learn of something new. That's significant enough to keep your finger on their pulse. Keep your good cheer. Good positions can take time to win and things have a way of working out as they are meant to.

W

winchm

The company is planning to double its workforce. How many people interviewed you and your friend? He may have been picked for one position and your resume may be forwarded for review in another department. 18 years ago I walked across the street from a machine shop to apply for a job at a company that just moved into a new building across the street. At the interview another applicant had applied for the job a week before and I thought I was out of luck. They called me back a week later and offered me another position with the promise that an opening for the original position would be available in 6 months. I took the job, got my CQA and when the opening came available 6 months later I was promoted to the original position. Fast forward to today - my company grew from 200 to over 5,000 employees worldwide. We were acquired last week by a Fortune 100 Company - Keep the faith, you're just starting out, there's lots of opportunities out there. :cfingers:

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
The company is planning to double its workforce. How many people interviewed you and your friend? He may have been picked for one position and your resume may be forwarded for review in another department. 18 years ago I walked across the street from a machine shop to apply for a job at a company that just moved into a new building across the street. At the interview another applicant had applied for the job a week before and I thought I was out of luck. They called me back a week later and offered me another position with the promise that an opening for the original position would be available in 6 months. I took the job, got my CQA and when the opening came available 6 months later I was promoted to the original position. Fast forward to today - my company grew from 200 to over 5,000 employees worldwide. We were acquired last week by a Fortune 100 Company - Keep the faith, you're just starting out, there's lots of opportunities out there. :cfingers:
There's a lot of symbolism in that story.;)

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
I guess there were multiple job openings, but we were being interviewed for the same position in the same department, as that department happens to be the bread and butter of the company and they are looking forward to expand it. We had the same decision makers as the interview panel was the same for all of us, its just that they interviewed us at different times in the smae day.

I had already sent them thank-you letters within 24 hrs of my interview, so am just waiting for their decision.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Many times when hiring people say they'll inform candidates of their decisions, they actually mean they'll inform the people they want to hire, and have every intention of leaving everyone else hanging. Now is the time to follow Wes's advice and follow up. It doesn't matter that you already sent a thank-you letter. Do it again.

al40

Quite Involved in Discussions
A bird in the hand is worth more than two in the bush.

I'd be looking at other things because as of now you are not the 1st choice. If they want you they want you and the 2 weeks is nothing more than a method of prolonging agony and showing that "they studied you very carefully" Baloney.

Welcome to the world of reality as opposed to academia.

Good luck

I agree, I found that more often than not when you're told we'll let you know something in a couple of weeks it really means you need to start looking elsewhere.

Keep your head up!

al40

Top Bottom