PPAP required for repair of machine?

Ashland78

Quite Involved in Discussions
OK, I have some concern. We discovered that there is repair being done to one of our machines used for error-proofing (it is on the Process Control Plan). It was said today in a meeting that the IATF auditor in the past mentioned if it is repaired with OEM parts a new PPAP is not required. If it is non-OEM parts then it is required. Our machines while capable are sometimes not current as the vendor no longer exists.

Is there a clause that specifies this 'has' to be done, or is this someone opinion please?

I am looking at our customer specific requirements, and the PPAP 4th edition manual as well. Any help would be appreciated,

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
You will have to verify that there is no CSR that modifies this, but the PPAP 4th edition manual states:

1658758640986.png
Items 1, 2 and 3 above do not apply in your situation.

Section 3 covers two areas:
  • 3.1 Situations requiring that you NOTIFY your customer
    • Item 1 does not apply
    • Item 2 applies only to tooling, not machinery
    • Item 3 (below) applies to your situation, but clarifies that normal maintenance, repair or replacement for which no change in performance is to be expected and post repair verification methods have been established is not included.
    • Items 4 - 10 do not apply
  • 3.2 Situations requiring that you SUBMIT a PPAP
    • Items 1 - 4 do not apply
1658759028793.png

malasuerte

OK, I have some concern. We discovered that there is repair being done to one of our machines used for error-proofing (it is on the Process Control Plan). It was said today in a meeting that the IATF auditor in the past mentioned if it is repaired with OEM parts a new PPAP is not required. If it is non-OEM parts then it is required. Our machines while capable are sometimes not current as the vendor no longer exists.

Is there a clause that specifies this 'has' to be done, or is this someone opinion please?

I am looking at our customer specific requirements, and the PPAP 4th edition manual as well. Any help would be appreciated,

Ask to never use that auditor again! That makes it towards the top of the list of the worst auditor/registrar assessments ever!

Ashland78

You will have to verify that there is no CSR that modifies this, but the PPAP 4th edition manual states:

View attachment 29008
Items 1, 2 and 3 above do not apply in your situation.

Section 3 covers two areas:
  • 3.1 Situations requiring that you NOTIFY your customer
    • Item 1 does not apply
    • Item 2 applies only to tooling, not machinery
    • Item 3 (below) applies to your situation, but clarifies that normal maintenance, repair or replacement for which no change in performance is to be expected and post repair verification methods have been established is not included.
    • Items 4 - 10 do not apply
  • 3.2 Situations requiring that you SUBMIT a PPAP
    • Items 1 - 4 do not apply
View attachment 29009
We found this clause as well on Page 13. Thank you~

Ashland78

Ask to never use that auditor again! That makes it towards the top of the list of the worst auditor/registrar assessments ever!
I wondered the same thing. I know things can get misconstrued and this was before I started here, so I am not sure if it is remembered correctly.

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
Although I agree in general with Miner's post regarding Section 3, I would (as the customer) want to refine that a little further. Normal repair/replacement (planned maintenance, known consumable components, etc) would be different than a major repair/rebuild (for example, replacing the entire hydraulic powerpak on a press). Depending on the situation, I -=MAY=- want some verification done that everything is 'as it was before'.

Top Bottom