Process capability

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
At customer location, gasket goes on top of this and gasket is also within spec and its creating too much tightness recently. I requested if temporarily/ informally if they can allow us to make it little bit under spec, keeping same tolerance width
It sounds like their operators are complaining about how hard it is to install the gasket. I used to supply weatherstripping to the automotive OEMs. There was a max spec for the installation force and a minimum spec for the retention force. Reducing the former also reduced the latter. I had an assembly plant manager yell at me that he could care less if the weatherstrips fell off the car after it left his plant as long as the workers stopped complaining.

This may or may not be a feasible solution, but you might ask the customer if they could use a lubricant (compatible with the gasket material) to slip the gasket onto the tubing rather than you having to chase their gasket variation. Assuming their gasket is molded, they are probably seeing variation in hardness due to age or state of cure, or less likely, due to material properties.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
At customer location, gasket goes on top of this and gasket is also within spec and its creating too much tightness recently. I requested if temporarily/ informally if they can allow us to make it little bit under spec, keeping same tolerance width
As Bev said, sounds like some stack up issues. Time to do some math and see what is happening and see if moving the entire spec down a hair will correct it. We deal with press fits all day long and the math has to be "just right" to avoid problems -- easier said than done.

Top Bottom