Process Writing Software Suggestions for Internal Procedures

K

kerins18

Hi,

I'm embarking on a full rewrite of my organisations internal procedures. Although you can certainly use Microsoft Word to write the procedures my thinking would be that there has to be a more efficent way of doing it.

Would anyone have any suggestions on process writing software?.....I've found a few but none of them seem that great.

Ian

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Hi,

I'm embarking on a full rewrite of my organisations internal procedures. Although you can certainly use Microsoft Word to write the procedures my thinking would be that there has to be a more efficent way of doing it.

Would anyone have any suggestions on process writing software?.....I've found a few but none of them seem that great.

Ian

Ian,

I think you mean writing procedures that specify the way the processes are operated and controlled to fulfill their objectives.

When analyzing or designing a process with the process owner I find deployment flowcharts the best way of documenting the process objective, who is involved and their interactions, inputs, tasks to add value to the inputs, meetings, decisions, authorities, responsibilities and outputs.

The result is a flowcharted procedure, with links to any necessary instructions, forms and other relevant processes, suitable for use and improvement.

Personally I find TeamFlow is the best tool to use because the flowcharts are easy for users to understand (especially their interrelationships) and it is fast to use and update.

John

AndyN

Moved On
Hi,

Ian

Ian: Welcome to the Cove! Is this endeavor yours alone? Or are you enlisting the assistance of the people involved?

K

kerins18

Thanks for the responses John + Andy.

This review is a organisation wide review of the internal procedures of a ISO:9001 compliant company. We're working with personnel throughout the organisation to get their feedback on current processes and suggestions for improvements.

We've begun documenting the procedures with flowcharts, etc but we also are writing procedures to document the processes in detail.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Ian,

Did you consult the users about duplicating the flowcharts as textual procedures? Will both sets of documents become system documents?

Imagine the cost of the duplicate updating process.

Why not turn your flowcharts into the procedures with notes or instructions where necessary to provide further details?

John

Peter Fraser

Trusted Information Resource
Ian,

Did you consult the users about duplicating the flowcharts as textual procedures? Will both sets of documents become system documents?

Imagine the cost of the duplicate updating process.

Why not turn your flowcharts into the procedures with notes or instructions where necessary to provide further details?

John
I agree with John's comments - the less you have to maintain, and the more consistent it is, the better.

We use our own (author) software - different style to John's but the principle is similar. And you get a range of automatic reports such as Role Involvements, plus a complete online system.

AndyN

Moved On
Thanks for the responses John + Andy.

This review is a organisation wide review of the internal procedures of a ISO:9001 compliant company. We're working with personnel throughout the organisation to get their feedback on current processes and suggestions for improvements.

We've begun documenting the procedures with flowcharts, etc but we also are writing procedures to document the processes in detail.

Hmmm - don't be constrained by that useless "pyramid" of documents that people have clung to for years - y'know the level 1, level 2, level 3 type of thing. Why not simply a process map and some well designed forms which guide the user through the process, and make a place for data to be recorded? That doesn't fit any specific hierarchy of documents, but it is an effective one!

M

MikeLQSR

My only suggestion is to not over complicate the process. Even in the Pharma industry we use M.S. Word to draft procedures (we have an SOP template with a locked header and footer which indicates SOP number, revision, legal info, etc). Flow charts are great tools to use as procedures as they provide visual references and for most people allow easier to digest information. In my company we emphasis hybrid SOP's - a formal written procedure for initial training as well as a flow diagram (usually listed as a controlled attachment to the SOP) for reference (eg hanging in employees cube).

If you are not willing to invest several to tens of thousands in a software QMS (such as Master Control) I would develop an SOP template and distribute to all potential SOP authors to use going forward.

Hope that helps!
Mike

Top Bottom