Project Sweden - Teaching Lean - A Diary

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
asutherland said:
And finely [finally?], ask questions and congratulate the team.

Is this a plan?
As Coach Vince Lombardi famously said,
"Every play theoretically ends in a touchdown. The difference is
EXECUTION! EXECUTION! EXECUTION!"

A

asutherland

As Coach Vince Lombardi famously said,
"Every play theoretically ends in a touchdown. The difference is
EXECUTION! EXECUTION! EXECUTION!"

Ooops,

Forgot to mention. This company has established an internal tracking system of cost reduction. This will include savings as a result of kaizen as well.
Of course, this will track "True" efficiency. Not "Apparent" efficiency.

A

asutherland

Day 1 went well.

The team consisted of ; Mfg Mgr, 2 Group leaders, 1 line associate, 1 engineering, Q.C. Manager, and 1 maintenance person.

The event sheet was kept simple describing the team, current situation, goals, scope, and required resources. (Just a reminder, this was set up as a kaizen event, not a blitz).

On day 1 we spent 7 hours in a class presentation covering the specific tools and concepts required to do a well planned Kaizen. This covered teamwork, quality tools, and brainstorming, kaizen priority, kaizen tools, etc.

The purpose of this introduction was to provide information to the team about what is expected to be understood and completed in a Kaizen event. Also, to allow an easy training format for new members before they are allowed to participate in a Kaizen event. By doing this, we do not isolate new members by over whelming them with activities using concepts they have not previously heard of before.

On Day 2, we began construction of a standardized work combination table. I chose to do this instead of the standardized work chart because the process under study takes about 6 hours. As a result, the std work chart would have looked like a spaghetti diagram. (On day 3, we will break this process down into 3 or 4 sections and make 3 or 4 std work charts.) We were able to finish about 85% of the standardized work combo chart and will complete this today. We will then spend about 4 hours on the line making time studies of the critical or key process, complete the std work comb table, and std work chart before analyzing points of Kaizen. (It has already become apparent that the people working in this cell are only working 70% of the time they are recording as actual work, so by implementing standard work, we should gain a minimum of a 20% provided we reduce the manpower associated with this activity).

A

asutherland

On Day 3 we completed the standardized work chart and went to the line to capture the time. Everything went perfect. The line began and continued welding in their normal random order. The team could not tell when to start the timing and when to stop. After 1.5 hours, the team decided it was time to stop because they were getting nowhere and we regrouped to explain what happened.

We discovered that nobody knew what anyone was supposed to do or when. The team was a little troubled because they just had a product change and many things on the list now had to be redone and no one knew how we were going to finish.

We wrote our new target “without severely effecting productivity, how will we capture the data we need, regardless of model type?”

We came up with 5 methods.

On Day 4 the vote was 4 of 1 item and 2 of another. The team discussed these items by themselves and we made a final decision.

It was my opinion that we did the wrong item and that the other two members buckled under pressure. I then gave a supporting argument that the other team members chose the option that was more beneficial and told them why. We took another vote and it was a unanimous agreement to change. I then talked to the team and said if you make a decision, do not bend to peer pressure.

I then gave them another convincing argument about changing to option 3 and said that their decision was wrong and why. It was voted on again and everyone stuck to their previous decision.

We then assembled a plan to implement the capture of data required and evaluated it for problems, and finalized the plan.

A

asutherland

Day 5 plan was executed and finsied according to plan.
The standardized work combination table clearly showed that we can actually complete this product in 28% less time than we typically document as work time.

Since we have no base line, everyone has decided that this will be the base line.

Also during this study, many improvement ideas were documented. On Monday, we will use these as well as brainstorm others to generate a list to quantify, stratify, prioritize, and implement. We have 3 days left to complete this project with the 4 day as presentation. I may take a vote on whether to have the presentation on the floor or in a formal setting. Personally I like the floor better.... Don't have to use overheads (can use origional docs), Can see before and after at line (not on pictures in a room), and nobody likes to stand at a line as long a period of time as they like to sit in a room....

A

asutherland

Monday... another good day.
Completed 90% of the work manuals to implement standard work. (of course includes safety and quality items).
Quantified the top 9 of 18 improvement ideas, and began 4 of them.
2 easy, 1 medium, 1 difficult. When completed, I will post the results.

Lets see what tue brings.....

A

asutherland

Sorry for the late post... been busy.

Tuesday
The 1st Kaizen is on Standardized work, completed the standardized work combination table, and 1st draft of the work manual looks great.
2nd Kaizen is on “no grinding – interior, defined only one area on the tailgate (sliding portion) that needed to be grinded, and did no other grinding. Put a special instructions sheet on the tailgate to review after blast and prime for review and again after paint. Will take a few more days until this goes through all the processes.
3rd Kaizen in on “no grinding-exterior, defined “A-B-C” appearance levels on the tail gate and followed the same process as above.
4th Kaizen is on safety-, problem was that we had to move large parts many time to get to small parts that needed to be used first on the “Kit-pallet”. Decided to go with 2 pallets.
5th Kaizen was on “do not grind parts before using”. Two parts had to be reworked before assembly before fitting. Working with engineering, we found that they had to be reworked because we welded the seam before fitting the part. The part was to be fitted then welded. It was decided to move these two parts to the robot process.

Wednesday
Continued to work on work instructions manual. Did a practice presentation. Completed as much as we could on the open Kaizens and updated the presentation documents. I also reviewed with Quality the tick chart presentation that was converted into Swedish…looks good. Will be making a management presentation on Thursday to include a time line of when all of the open items will be closed.

Thursday... Today we will be presenting to management of what we accomplished.
On the 1st Kaizen (Implementation of standard work) we showed a 5.5 Hr reduction from EST (Eng. Std. Time) resulting in a savings of 39.29% on model type 1. When work manuals are completed, we will implement this as our current std. wk, and change the wk time in the system to maintain this savings. ( labor will be reallocated out of manuf (temporary wker) when this occurs to capture true savings. On model type 2 we were able to reduce the time by 3.56 Hrs from EST resulting in a savings of 25.48%. On Kaizen 2 - remove internal grinding - we currently spend 6 min, final determination of how much we will spend can not be determined until after the assy is inspected from our trial. Same with Kaizen 3 external except that the grinding time is 50 Min, On Kaizen 4 still waiting on scheduling throught robot process... potental savings is 21 mins, net savings will be about 15. And Kaizen 5 was a safety item and we will not track savings on this because it is impossible to realistic know what this will be... just happy to prevent a possible injury.

Over all, a good 8 days of work...... will do this again in a couple weeks in another cell.
Will be a little tougher because no one in this next cell speaks English...
(Hey Claes ..... want to be on a Kaizen team wk after next?)

asutherland said:
Over all, a good 8 days of work......
I'l have to say that sounds very successful :agree1:
asutherland said:
Will be a little tougher because no one in this next cell speaks English...
(Hey Claes ..... want to be on a Kaizen team wk after next?)
Actually, I would love to, but alas... the time. Anyway: How about bringing an English speaking member from the previous cell along when you get to work on the new one? Apart from helping you out with the lingo, he has seen it done too. That would probably make the task easier rather than tougher.

/Claes

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Claes Gefvenberg said:
I'l have to say that sounds very successful :agree1: Actually, I would love to, but alas... the time. Anyway: How about bringing an English speaking member from the previous cell along when you get to work on the new one? Apart from helping you out with the lingo, he has seen it done too. That would probably make the task easier rather than tougher.

/Claes
WOW! Talk about common sense! Great tip, Claes! That definitely will go down in my book, regardless of whether there is a language barrier. Kind of like making sourdough bread - keep a little of the dough from the first batch to use as starter for the second batch.

Just think! If you establish credibility with the first group, you have a head start on credibility with the next!

The more I work through permutations on this idea, the more I LOVE it!

Top Bottom