Psychopaths in the workplace - Research confirms my suspicion

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Re: Another piece of the puzzle in place

The boss as psychopath…now my work life makes a little more sense

I see two common themes here on the Cove that are now perhaps closer to an explanation:

1) The often heard complaint of “lack of management support”

2) The much hated (by me anyway) “it is your fault this failed - because you are an ineffective change agent, you failed to sell it”

Look at the often recommended actions for these 2 things – put it in Dollars – so the boss sees the value and will support it. Sounds good!

However, this advice does not mesh with my life experiences so far.

Despite all my careful financial analysis, doing paybacks, ROIs, cost justifications,
discounted cash flow, IRRs, risk analysis, whatever financial tool is currently in vogue, sometimes the project gets nowhere.

So I have been casting around to try to understand what really motivates the boss if not for Dollars.

I was leaning towards raw POWER, but I now think that is too broad.

My thought had been that the “skills” required to get to the top are exactly the wrong skills needed to lead the organization. And it is a rare tiger who can suddenly change his spots.

But, this sociopath idea really appeals to me. It seems to explain the non-rational behavior I so often see.

As I think back on most of my bosses I see they were really more interested in what was good for them, than in what was good for the company, their people, the customer, the environment or lastly good old me.

Cost of Quality perhaps offers another way to look at this. Why else would an intelligent rational person not jump at Millions of dollars in savings? Because they are not operating rationally!

Yep I can see it…sociopaths….more pieces of the puzzle just fit up.

Thanks - really good topic
This really is a topic which ought to be revisited on a regular basis.

Somehow, I was asleep at the switch when Caster wrote this, but the answer I have been giving for years when folks ask how to way the "powers that be" to your way of thinking is NOT to talk strictly about DOLLARS, but to be prepared to answer the question ALWAYS on the tip of a boss's tongue, whether or not he is a true psychopath:
"What's in it for me?"
This means the personal reward in money or glory that will accrue to him for following your suggestion. You also give him the "cover story" he will use as he garners money and glory for himself that it is all "for the good of the organization" whether that is increased profit, reputation, etc.

Surely you have an experience with a psychopath in the workplace (versus plain old bully) - tell us how you survived (or didn't.)

If it is a current experience, be careful not to disclose too much or you surely won't survive if the guy is also paranoid.

I'm really interested in what strategies you've tried and why you think they did or didn't work.

C

Craig H.

I had an experience at a former employer with a guy who was a PhD. I am not sure how to diagnose someone as psychotic, but let's just say he was a real piece of work. Fortunately I did not work for him, but most of my lab-mates did, so I got to witness him at work first hand.

What happened was what often happens to countries who have leaders that are seen to be less than stable - they get isolated and made the brunt of jokes. Dr. D got as little information as possible, and the things said about him out of earshot were amusing, if not printable in a decent forum. One time, though, someone made the mistake of saying he had a PostHole Digger (PhD) and the reaction was bordering on violence.

I had to separate him from one of his employees, who was backing away, when a discussion was getting out of hand. The employee ended up getting fired a short time later supposedly for unrelated (read bulls**t) incidents.

How to handle? In this case, with kid gloves, giving as little information as possible, while finding a quick exit. Also, making sure any case made against his "wisdom" was backed up with irrefutable evidence. Given out as it becomes to your advantage. All this while making plans for a hasty exit.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jhinckley

One time, though, someone made the mistake of saying he had a PostHole Digger (PhD) and the reaction was bordering on violence.

Or as I've heard it said, piled high and deep.

Top Bottom