Put on escalation by customer? is there a requirement to notify registrar?

biker6977

Registered
If a company is put on escalation by their customer, are they required to notify their registrar? A company I was with a while back was given a major in their audit because their customer (VW) put them on escalation and they didn't notify their registrar. I can't find the clause. I think it was in the Rule book 5th edition. Is this only required if you are put on new business hold or any level of escalation and where can I find the blasted clause?

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Welcome biker6977!

I don't have a copy of the Rules in front of me, but you could start by reviewing your contract with your registrar. Have you done this yet?

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Leader
Super Moderator
Good day @biker6977 ;
As harsh as the term sounds, what we're really speaking of when we say "escalation" is what IATF refers to as start of the "decertification process" as defined in rules 5th edition 8.1

The rules state...
a)....certification body receives ...complaint...
(i.e. when your customer complains about you to the certification body (CB)
b) the client (e.g. your organization) advises the CB of a special status from ....OEM....
(your organization, for example, is required to notify your CB within ten (10) calendar days from when your organization is put on special status by your customer)

So, in the example given above, VW putting them on "escalation" was obviously some type of special status. The organization had ten (10) days to notify their CB of that special status.
NOTE:
The IATF 16949 standard (section 3.1) defines "special status" as...

"notification of a customer-identified classification assigned to an organization where one or more customer requirements are not being satisfied due to a significant quality or delivery issue"

On a side note, I find it odd that IATF chose to put a "client" (i.e. organization such as yours) requirement in Rules 5th edition (which most organizations do not possess) and not place that requirement directly in the body of the IATF 16949 standard.

Hope this helps.
Be well.

biker6977

Registered
thank you, it does help. Is it only relevant if the OEM puts a company on escalation? I work for a large tier 1 and have put one of my suppliers on escalation and trying to determine if I have to notify their registrar or if this only applies to tier ones put on by the OEM?
Thank you in advance- I love this forum and always recommend Elsmar Cove to everyone in the quality realm.

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Leader
Super Moderator
thank you, it does help. Is it only relevant if the OEM puts a company on escalation? I work for a large tier 1 and have put one of my suppliers on escalation and trying to determine if I have to notify their registrar or if this only applies to tier ones put on by the OEM?
Thank you in advance- I love this forum and always recommend Elsmar Cove to everyone in the quality realm.

Your organization is not an "IATF member" (ie. not an OEM so no, it would generally not be appropriate for your organization to notify your supplier's CB.

Hope this helps. Be well.

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Leader
Super Moderator

"Generally" as I stated above @Sidney Vianna

Your previous council in the link you provided above is indeed a wise approach...

Assuming you have exhausted your direct communication with the supplier to resolve the quality issues and also assuming the supplier has some form of QMS certification (ISO 9001, IATF16949, etc) you can communicate with their CB and explain your concerns about their system performance. If the CB is serious, they should take action, which could include a special, short notice audit*. Naturally, your supplier will not appreciate being exposed to their CB, so there could be consequences, so be aware.

Yes, reporting your supplier to the CB is certainly an option, but "generally" not the best move unless, as you stated, "...you have exhausted...." all cooperative efforts.

Hope this helps.
Be well.

Top Bottom