Quality Manual Content - Extended debate - Updated Quality Manual for ISO 9001:2008

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
Re: Updated Quality Manual for ISO 9001:2008

...it's true that one thing I haven't included is a summary of how all the different policies and procedures interact.
I think you missed the point on this one. It's not the interactions between the policies and procedures that's required. It's the interactions between the QMS processes that's required.

The basics of establishing the quality management system (QMS) starts in clause 4.1. First, the standard requires that you determine the QMS processes (see 4.1a and Note 1), and determine the sequence and interaction of the processes (see 4.1b). The quality manual is required to contain a description of the interaction between the QMS processes.

After the QMS processes are established, the rest of the system should be established and implemented to support the processes (see 4.1c&d, and 5.4.2a), monitor/measure the results of the processes (see 4.1e and 8.2.3), and improve the processes (see 4.1f, 5.6.3a, and 8.5.1).

The first question I would ask is what are the names of the processes in your system? If you can't name them, I would say some work needs to be done before you should go any further.

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator

It's not the interactions between the policies and procedures that's required. It's the interactions between the QMS processes that's required.
And I like to do that with pictures; here's an example:

Attachments

• QPM Interaction Only.doc
    87.5 KB · Views: 721
D

dmp06

I don't have a problem with this manual except one thing. It relies to heavily on supporting procedures or documents to evidence what you say you do in this manual.

Sometimes a few more pages in a manual saves work and extensive procedure writing.

This meets the requirements of the standard. So if you like it and don't mind the additional documents to support it then I say use what you and your organization are comfortable with. This is your organization's system not an auditor's.

:D

Q

qualitymanager

cormorant - pls explain your basis for excluding clause 7.6 (a) to (e) when you state (p. 5 of 9)
Any devices used by Company X such as GPS, tape measure etc will be verified for accuracy as part of regular service delivery.

I am particularly interested in whether these types of equipment (cf. 2000 version) are used in doing system design, construction supervision or performance monitoring.

S

sharney

Have completed the outline of our company's new and improved Quality Manual following the numbering system provided by ISO 9001:2008. and we wish, someday after all t's are crossed and i's dotted, to become ISO certified.
The question - Can the Quality Manual outline be in a bullet format OR does it need to follow the number format?
Thanks

D

db

Have completed the outline of our company's new and improved Quality Manual following the numbering system provided by ISO 9001:2008. and we wish, someday after all t's are crossed and i's dotted, to become ISO certified.
The question - Can the Quality Manual outline be in a bullet format OR does it need to follow the number format?
Thanks

There is no requirement for an outline at all! The only requirements for the manual are what is stated in 4.2.2. If you want bullets, use bullets. If you want numbers, use numbers. I personally feel that numbers would make it more user friendly, especially if accompanied with page numbers, but that is my preference, not what is mandated.

AndyN

Moved On

Thanks

Can you help us by defining what an outline is? A manual which follows the numbering or each requirement of the ISO standard - bullets or otherwise - isn't required, either...

S

sharney

Andy,
The outline is our first attemp in writing a quality manual while using the ISO standards format of numbering the clauses.
Had several directors ask about bullets rather than numbers. I could not locate any information stating to use a numbering system.
And as Dave B pointed out, we are following 4.2.2

AndyN

Moved On

Andy,
The outline is our first attemp in writing a quality manual while using the ISO standards format of numbering the clauses.
Had several directors ask about bullets rather than numbers. I could not locate any information stating to use a numbering system.
And as Dave B pointed out, we are following 4.2.2

Thanks for the clarification. There are many discussion threads here about content and style regarding Quality Manuals etc. and I'd recommend you check them out before you go too far with documenting your system...time spent now, in the 'design phase' of your quality system will pay off big time later, trust me!

Just like a poor product design can't be manufactured without problems and causing a lot of inspection errors, a poorly designed quality system (documentation) will be difficult to implement and, lead to many audit findings.

Top Bottom