Quality Objectives - Acceptable Levels and Functions

J

JaneB

It's actually just the way you mentioned it. Of course we should have a document stating that every section the standard requires has been dealt with....
Should you?
Really???
Why?
What value would it add?

Cannot agree more with Jim's observation that auditors should be using interview and observation to establish whether the various sections of the Standard are met. Or with his caution about the danger of not seeing the bigger picture.
Make your management review work for you. It's not about whether it's fun (although I don't see why it shouldn't include some of that) but about whether it's effective and useful. If it isn't now, change it! There's a heap of info on this site in previous threads with ideas in how to do that. But adding in a detailed list of the standard inputs and outputs from the relevant clause and ticking 'em off isn't one I'd recommend.

D

Dev14

Can any one help me to create department wise objective for ISO 9001 certification.

1. Accounts Department, 2. HR department, 3. Operations Department, 4. Purchase Department.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Dear friends,
In accordance with cl. 5.4.1 ISO 9001 quality objectives have to be "established at relevant functions and levels WITHIN the organization". My question: Is it acceptable to establish quality objectives ONLY for organization's top level without cascading ones to departments levels (if so) and low level functions? What does WITHIN mean? Is it the same as INSIDE? Unfortunately ISO Guides does not clarify this topic. Any opinion will be appreciated.
Vladimir

Vladimir,

Consider for a moment what helps the levels and functions to fulfill the quality objectives.

It is the management system and its processes. Indeed, it is important not to have powerful people working against the organization's process-based management system.

As well as product requirement (7.1a) many organizations align their quality objectives to the data streams specified in clause 8.4.

These objectives may be assigned to one or two processes or to the entire core process that runs from customer needs to satisfied customers. Of course, these processes form part of the management system and have people working within them.

The procedures for these processes define responsibilities and authorities for making sure their processes are effective or meeting objectives. And, of course, the people within these processes know what they are doing to fulfill the objectives.

Accordingly, I doubt top management would keep all the responsibility and authority to themselves for fulfilling all the quality objectives. But some may choose not to delegate any of their authority and take full responsibility for their system as a whole fulfilling one or two objectives such as satisfying customers or delivering performance that is in the top quartile for their industry.

I hope this helps,

John

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
I have been thinking about the same questions here. We got two minor nonconformities, 5.4.1 and 5.6.2. There were no evidence that there were set quality objectives for all processes and that in management review there were no evidence that every relevant section of the standard weren't accounted.

Should I just report that we are going to set the objectives and edit the management review sheet so that the relevant things are accounted for?

I think it's a bit odd that different CB:s have a bit different view of the issue. I mean don't you have clear guidelines how things are? You just give your opinions. No hating, just wondering.

High Fidelity,

I am surprised your auditor did not cite clause 4.1c when talking about process objectives.

Without process objectives how do you know your processes are effectives?

John

Big Jim

Admin
Can any one help me to create department wise objective for ISO 9001 certification.

1. Accounts Department, 2. HR department, 3. Operations Department, 4. Purchase Department.

1. This is outside of ISO 9001 so you don't need one. If you want one anyway, consider something like accounts receivable collected before 45 days.

2. Customer Satisfaction

3. Product Quality and On-time Delivery

4. Supplier Performance

Of course, you need to determine what really works best for you.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator

Personally, I believe that those teams should develop their own objectives. We cannot (and should) not create them for you...but we can perhaps point you in a direction that will allow you to help them.

Step 1 | Ensure that there are organization-level objectives and metrics that will allow the organization to determine if the objectives are being met.

Step 2 | Determine if there are existing metrics in those departments you mentioned which can help support the metrics (and thus the objectives) from Step 1. If there are no department-level metrics, determine what they COULD be to help support the items from Step 1.

Step 3 | Review the results of the existing department-level metrics and using the SMART* approach to set goals and thus your objectives at the department level.

Essentially, it's a cascade style of development. To develop department level goals and objectives in isolation isn't in the spirit of a good management system. It is good to see where the company is going...and then show how the department will support the company's direction.

* S-Specific | M-Measureable | A-Achievable | R-Realistic | T-Timely

Last edited:

Big Jim

Admin
Personally, I believe that those teams should develop their own objectives. We cannot (and should) not create them for you...but we can perhaps point you in a direction that will allow you to help them.

Step 1 | Ensure that there are organization-level objectives and metrics that will allow the organization to determine if the objectives are being met.

Step 2 | Determine if there are existing metrics in those departments you mentioned which can help support the metrics (and thus the objectives) from Step 1. If there are no department-level metrics, determine what they COULD be to help support the items from Step 1.

Step 3 | Review the results of the existing department-level metrics and using the SMART* approach to set goals and thus your objectives at the department level.

Essentially, it's a cascade style of development. To develop department level goals and objectives in isolation isn't in the spirit of a good management system. It is to good to see where the company is going...and then show how the department will support the company's direction.

* S-Specific | M-Measureable | A-Achievable | R-Realistic | T-Timely

This is really what works best. If there isn't time to do it this way now, do what you need to do to get something going, and then work on something much more effective, like this.

J

JaneB

Excellent answer, Roxane, and an excellent approach.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom