Quality Policy - Need to have the revision number on the copy of policy displayed?

T

triad

Re: Quality Policy - Need to have the revision number on the copy of policy displayed

I'm still lost. Ididn't use either of the "C" words.

If a policy statement is well drafted, it could last eternally

Tyler,

everything is subject to change.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Re: Quality Policy - Need to have the revision number on the copy of policy displayed

continuous means uninterrupted while continual means repetition with occassional interuptions. yes, they are related things becuase quality policy is the basis of all objectives.
I didn't say that there was no difference in denotation or connotation between the two words; I said that as far as a QMS is concerned, the difference is irrelevant.

do you mean you are still adopting ISO 9001:2000? Otherwsie, you are adopting ISO 9001:2008 without revising your quality policy.
There is no requirement for either ISO 9001 or its revision level to be referenced in the QP.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource

Most quality policies are far reaching visions, they usually don't just spit back the requirements of the ISO 9001 (current revision). As such, all that is required is that you periodically review the statement to ensure that it is still appropriate for your operations, and meets the requrements set forth in the standard. I don't see that my company will ever change its core values when it comes to their policy on quality. We may have to change our wording if there is ever a significant change in the standard, other than that we will continue to meet the customers' requirements, etc.., etc., etc. It matters not if the customer's expectations change, we will still review their requirements and then meet them, or let the customer know that we cannot do what they ask before we agree to supply.

You can argue all day about continual and continuous improvements, but the only people in most operations who really understand the difference is the quality manager/management rep. Nobody else usually does, and frankly who cares? It is kind of like arguing about the spelling of grey (gray) as long as everyone gets the concept of never ending overall improvement, is it really going to make a difference?

P

Polly Pure Bread

I didn't say that there was no difference in denotation or connotation between the two words; I said that as far as a QMS is concerned, the difference is irrelevant. .

My views is that there is a relevance as far as QMS and stability is concerned. You cannot continuously conduct internal audits, you cannot continuously conduct maturity assessments, you cannot continuously conduct management review, etc.

There is no requirement for either ISO 9001 or its revision level to be referenced in the QP.

i agree.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

My views is that there is a relevance as far as QMS and stability is concerned. You cannot continuously conduct internal audits, you cannot continuously conduct maturity assessments, you cannot continuously conduct management review, etc.
We are not talking about continually or continuously doing those things, we're talking about improvement. The distinction between the two words would be relevant if, for example, I said that a certain machine runs continuously.

P

Polly Pure Bread

We are not talking about continually or continuously doing those things, we're talking about improvement. The distinction between the two words would be relevant if, for example, I said that a certain machine runs continuously.

"Improvement"

I think the key words are your 'baseline' and your 'targets'. How you get there and when do you want to get there is the the process 'improvement' :2cents:

A

amanbhai

I thought that the discussion was about Quality Policy Need to have revision number?

A

amanbhai

Clauses 5.3 of ISO 9001:2008 standard requires that:
Top management shall ensure that the quality policy:

e) is reviewed for continuing suitability.

You may put revision no. and date like your document control system.

J

JaneB

Returning to the OP's question:
Does an organization need to display the revision no. of the policy on the quality policy that it displays? Why/Why not? Please guide.
No.

I can't do better than to quote Tony's reply (with my bolding added):
ISO 9001 requires changes and the current revision status of documents to be identified but does not prescribe how. So you have the flexibility to chose to put this on your your quality policy document, stamp it on the back of this document or record it elsewhere in some other way such as a revision log.

Exactly. Or you could use a date of signoff (version numbers aren't the only way of controlling versions). Or print up a whole new series of nifty posters, if that's how it's done at your organisation, and use the signoff for printing as the version control. Etc. etc.

It's your system: you get to decide HOW to do what 9001 requires.

NB: IF your doc control procedure says you will put revision numbers on everything, you must either put it on OR (better) change your procedure to make it less heavily prescriptive and onerous.

Top Bottom