Question, query, poser, MMMMMMM

J

JRKH

Hello All,

Facts:
We have a harness tester.
We use this tester to verify outside service performance. (yes it was heat treated, or no it wasn't)
We do NOT use it for SPC, or process control work.
Our Heat Treater supplies us with a C of C and inspection results.
I do have the tester in our calibration system.

We do little "lab" testing. My lab scope will basically be covering calibration.

My question is do I need to include this tester in my scope?

James

E Wall

Just Me!
Trusted Information Resource
If you are using it to gauge the acceptance/reject status of parts...I'd say a big 10-4.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I think I agree with Ms. Wall.

> We use this tester to verify outside service performance.

I would call this receiving inspection.

J

Jim Biz

Meee Tooo

Under our current 9002 system - we have the same/similar practice set up - as part of our supplier evaluation information.

Although we do not necessarily ACCEPT/REJECT on our readings alone using the equpt. here - we do use the information to track trends when (recieving) materials & verify the validity of the information sent from suppliers.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Included In Scope Statement?

Originally posted by Jim Biz

Under our current 9002 system - we have the same/similar practice set up - as part of our supplier evaluation information.

Although we do not necessarily ACCEPT/REJECT on our readings alone using the equpt. here - we do use the information to track trends when (recieving) materials & verify the validity of the information sent from suppliers.
Is it in you lab's Scope statement?

D

D.Scott

If you use the equipment, why wouldn't you want to include it in your Lab Scope - required or not? IMO it would be better to list too much in your scope than not enough.

Dave

T

tomvehoski

Are you using the tester to actually verify a measurement against a cert. (ie 56 to 58 HRC), or only verify that the parts went through heat treat (ie changed from ~30 to ~58 HRC). If you are doing the latter, you may be able to get around calibrating it and keeping it in your lab.

If it is a very rough measurment I would not worry about it. Maybe just check it with a certified test block every once and a while.

I used to have a hardness tester we used simply for indenting parts to check for adhesion of Titanium Nitride coatings. The check was visual - we used the hardness tester as a "controlled hammer" to put in an indent. I even used chipped diamonds that were damaged on our "good" tester used for inspection. This tester was not calibrated or maintained.

If the tester is in good shape I would probably have it calibrated and serviced periodically anyway - it does not cost all that much as I recall.

Tom

Top Bottom