Reading ability - The prospective auditor could not read

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
Craig H. said:
Al, actually the note was played rather loudly. db and I have been in other threads where personal responsibility have been discussed, and I should have known better than to think for a second the post should be taken literally.

:bonk:

Craig
If we take this much farther, we may be banished.

How do we detect the problem?

Nah.... Let's just stick to the subject and all will be well. Now, I briefly touched another aspect before: Some peoples amazing ability to hide poor reading ability.

Some years back I was teaching a lad how to run and program our CMM. At first everything went very well. He quickly grasped what I was telling him and made great progress. As time went on, however, I noted that he was unable to write his own programs, in spite of clearly understanding what he was supposed to do.

It finally dawned on me that he was an abysmal reader. At the time we had been working together for years. So how was he able to hide that fact, not to mention handle the CMM so well at first? Believe it or not, but he memorized the (pretty long) sequences of commands!

I mean: If we omit the fact that I can be pretty absent minded, my memory serves me quite well. Compared to him though, I felt like an amnesia case.

/Claes

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
Actually I've been faking my ability to read here at the forums. In my spare bedroom I have an infinite number of monkeys with keyboards that type randomly until something comes up that the computer determines matches the topic of the thread. After a quick spelling and grammar check, I post it here.

D

db

In my internal auditor class there are several scenarios that require judgement. It was (and with some still is) common practice to have one of the participants read the scenario. I no longer do that because there are those who can read, but not very good, and you can tell they are embarrassed when they start stumbling over words.

I had one instructor (I was a participant in this class) several years ago, who began by explaining that there was a lot of reading in the class. Some of it would be out loud, to share the responsibility. If anyone either can't read, or can't read well, they were supposed to speak up at that time. I got a great idea! Let's have those who can't read identify themselves so they can be really embarrassed! What a knucklehead!

R

Rob Nix

Only from a Canadian, eh?

I heard that your country was named by three explorers who each drew a letter out of a hat. The first one drew a letter and said "C, eh?", the second said, "N, eh?", and the third said, "D, eh?". :rolleyes:

Top Bottom