Recommended Reading List - Research and reading on the subject of quality

apestate

Quite Involved in Discussions
One of the things that takes up alot of my time is research and reading on the subject of quality, management, inspection, statistics, and other quality related topics.

I'm currently reading a book called Inspection and Gaging, 6th Ed., and frankly it is a little slow in the development of topics and instruction. I feel that I am wasting time, when I could be purchasing and reading books that will stand as introduction, instruction, and reference for years to come.

If anyone would like to suggest some good texts or books that have impressed you, that provide in depth treatment of some of ISO 9001:2000 requirements, and beyond those requirements on into serious quality management, I would very much appreciate the advice.

Well I'll begin with the old battle-axe, a collection of essays and articles compiled under the direction of editors, the basic quality handbook:

Juran's Quality Handbook, Joseph M. Juran, co-editor-in-chief, A. Blanton Godfrey, co-editor-in-chief. -- 5th Ed.

Six sigma, statistical analysis, lean manufacturing, preventive manufacturing maintenance, project management, continual improvement, cost of quality, inspection, design of experiments and testing, etc.

The distinguished quality handbook.

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource
book review forum

Take a look in the book review forum. I just posted the other day about "ISO9001:2000 Explained". Excellent source for ISO 9K2K.

CarolX

M

M Greenaway

Well everyone in quality should own 'Out of the Crisis' by Deming.

I tried to get an old geezer called Jim Wade to read it, but I dont think I ever convinced him to pick it up.

Dont be put off by all the pap surrounding Deming, and all the teary eyed reports on what a great guy he was. This book is easy to read, blindingly simple, yet revolutionary - you will not be able to put it down !

Raffy

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi atetsade,

Have you tried reading Total Quality Management by Oakland? Its a Text with cases.

ISO9001:2000 Handbook by Robert Hoyle.

I don't know whether if the book for ISO9001:2000 of Mr. Richard Randall was already released. I'm still waiting for it and hoping that it would be available in Manila.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Raffy

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Atetsade,

Though it is not a strictly "quality-related" book per se, I found "In Search of Excellence" by Tom Peters to be a very thought-provoking book when I read it years ago. Since then Tom has written several others, a few of which I have read, but none grabbed me as much at ISOE. Maybe it was just the right book at the right time, but I think there are still valuable lessons to be learned there because so many companies are still waaaaay behind the times.

Juran's handbook, as you say, is a great one to have as a reference.

D

David Hartman

Mike S.

I found "Thriving on Chaos" by Tom Peters to be much better than ISOE. I would highly recommend it as a book that is especially pertinent in the changing times we live in today.:bigwave:

C

Craig H.

M Greenaway said:

Well everyone in quality should own 'Out of the Crisis' by Deming.

I tried to get an old geezer called Jim Wade to read it, but I dont think I ever convinced him to pick it up.

Dont be put off by all the pap surrounding Deming, and all the teary eyed reports on what a great guy he was. This book is easy to read, blindingly simple, yet revolutionary - you will not be able to put it down !

Martin, this is a great book, no doubt, but a little hard to read. I would suggest "The Deming Management Method" by Mary Walton as a companion.

Also "Quality Planning and Analysis", Juran and Gryna, and the Western Electric SQC Handbook. Oh, yes, Grant & Levanworth's stats text, too, for the basics.

Of course, there are many more, but these pop right to mind.

Craig

Top Bottom