Returned product due to Customers fault, is it a Non-Conformance?

Stefanos Papadakis

Involved In Discussions
So, our customer ordered from us a product. We sent them the designs and got the "OK" from them to proceed with the manufacturing. After we delivered the product they returned it to us claiming that "it didn't work for them" we were later informed that they didn't read the design thoroughly. We accepted the rework for some of the parts due to good will. Should I write that down as a NC or not?

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
Leader
Super Moderator
It warrants an investigation. Are your instructions standard? What level comprehension are they written towards?

Stefanos Papadakis

Involved In Discussions
They were given detailed drawings. The fault was that the main body was larger and two couplings should have had a specific geometry (which they did not specify when placing the order). We made a male and a female coupling which they could mount on their motor (everything explained in the drawings) and they said that the drawings "look fine". But at the end they returned it back to us. Basically the fault is that they did not read the drawings well enough (that was actually their statement through the phone)

Mikey324

Quite Involved in Discussions
I dont see where you didn't conform to requirements. Sounds like your customer made a mistake and owned up to eat. In my opinion, you didn't have to rework the parts, but did so out of the kindness of your heart. Helping the customer is a good thing, hopefully they remember that.

I would say of a good part can be made based off the drawing, your have no NC.

Stefanos Papadakis

Involved In Discussions
I dont see where you didn't conform to requirements. Sounds like your customer made a mistake and owned up to eat. In my opinion, you didn't have to rework the parts, but did so out of the kindness of your heart. Helping the customer is a good thing, hopefully they remember that.

I would say of a good part can be made based off the drawing, your have no NC.
That was my initial thought. Thank you for your help.

JoshuaFroud

Involved In Discussions
i agree with the others above.

If nothing went wrong or was out of specification then everything conformed (no non-conformance).

Your customer however, may want to look into their purchasing process :uhoh:

Top Bottom