Sampling for an Internal Testing Laboratory

• Thread starter TheGoldenBlazer
  • Start date
T

TheGoldenBlazer

For an internal testing laboratory, does section 5.7 on sampling apply to us? When product comes off the line in bulk, the guys on the line will cut out a portion to send to the lab to be tested.

Does that fall under the lab's procedure or operations? I figure it falls under operations since laboratory personnel are not the ones doing the sampling, and thus 5.7 does not apply, but I'd like to hear some alternate opinions.

AndyN

Moved On
Why don't the production folks give you the product to sample? Could they be "selecting" a portion they know is "good" so it won't fail test and, hence, shut down the line. Sampling is there to avoid biasing/skewing the item being tested...

T

TheGoldenBlazer

We manufacture cold rolled steel, so it wouldn't make sense for the lab to do the sampling.

AndyN

Moved On
We manufacture cold rolled steel, so it wouldn't make sense for the lab to do the sampling.

So, for the width/length of the sheet/strip etc, there's no difference in the tested parameters? Hardness, for example? How are you currently presented with the sample? Is it homogenous? If so, how did you determine that?

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
For an internal testing laboratory, does section 5.7 on sampling apply to us? When product comes off the line in bulk, the guys on the line will cut out a portion to send to the lab to be tested.

Does that fall under the lab's procedure or operations? I figure it falls under operations since laboratory personnel are not the ones doing the sampling, and thus 5.7 does not apply, but I'd like to hear some alternate opinions.

That all depends in truth on how the tasking for the lab is set up. If internal customers simply request some sample they provide to be tested, then I would think that 5.7 does not apply.

Top Bottom