Shortening processes complying with process approach ISO 9001

qualprod

Trusted Information Resource
Hello everybody
Please give some insights regarding how to define into the management system
the less quantity of processes but complying with the process approach?
This is the case.
A company for manufacturing copper electrode for grounding.
If strictly I have to depict every process , I´ll end up with a lot of processes, if additionally
I include the management processes and support processes.
What will be the best method to manage this issue?
the next processes exist:
1-Cutting long pieces, 2-special cuttings (chamfer, plain,etc), 3-Stamping, 4-cleaning type 1 and finishing, 5-cleaning type 2, 6-chemical treatment,
7-Surface Silver treatment. 8-packaging, 9- Shipping and they work in sequence.
Before this happened, sales, Engineering, Purchasing, Quality and some others, were involved.
I´ll have about 30 processes, if they have to be included in the management system will cause
a lot of extra work, quantity of audits, dense process maps, procedures, kpis, etc.
Is not a big company, 15 employees, most of people wear several caps.
Usually, the same person performs 3 or 4 processes.
How to comply to the standard but what is most important, to the company, how to define
the minimal quantity of processes but keeping control of the performance of all of them?
It is clear that each process has clear inputs and outputs, In my opinion is not possible to
merge some of them into a new one.
Could I define Phase 1 process, including into it processes from 1 to 4? as sub processes
and measuring the performance of the sub processes ? not the phase 1 process?.
Thus, in my process map, I only would show management processes processes Phase 1, 2 , 3,
as boxes and into them, the sub-processes, also the management, the support, and the rest which
normally exist in the product realization.
If you have some Ideas please share something.
Thanks

Tagin

the next processes exist:
1-Cutting long pieces, 2-special cuttings (chamfer, plain,etc), 3-Stamping, 4-cleaning type 1 and finishing, 5-cleaning type 2, 6-chemical treatment,
7-Surface Silver treatment. 8-packaging, 9- Shipping and they work in sequence.

You could call this sequence all one process ("Manufacturing" or "Production", etc.) which happens to have multiple steps in the process. (Some might consider Shipping a separate process.)

There was a recent thread discussing that it was not required to have a graphical process map; 4.4.1 could be satisfied by defining interactions in a table, a text document, in the separate documents for each process, etc.

Edit: Here is the thread.

Bifften

Involved In Discussions
It sounds like you are just describing a production process as said by @Tagin . I would suggest a documented overview (Process Map) with Work Instructions / Standard Operating Procedures sitting below for each step - IF required.

There is no requirement to document everything... consider if it is necessary for intended result.

qualprod

It sounds like you are just describing a production process as said by @Tagin . I would suggest a documented overview (Process Map) with Work Instructions / Standard Operating Procedures sitting below for each step - IF required.

There is no requirement to document everything... consider if it is necessary for intended result.
Thanks

qualprod

Thanks Bifften
Well for me the main issue is:
1-For CB´s , when quoting an audit, they count the number of processes, I can declare one (just production) or all the sub.- processes.
2- When performing internal audits, at auditing processes, to audit just one or all the sub-processes?

For the map I dont see a problem, I can show both, (the main production) or all the sub processes as boxes.

Thanks

Top Bottom