Solderability test for gold terminations?

A

ahfoong

Hi guys,

I know this may not be the right place to ask such a question, but I really need to know what the industry requirements are for performing solderability test on units with gold terminations.

I hope some kind soul out there can enlighten me! :rolleyes:

If not, can someone direct me to the right place to ask this question?
:thanx:

Bob

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
ahfoong said:
Hi guys,

I know this may not be the right place to ask such a question, but I really need to know what the industry requirements are for performing solderability test on units with gold terminations.

I hope some kind soul out there can enlighten me! :rolleyes:

If not, can someone direct me to the right place to ask this question?
:thanx:

Bob
Hi Bob:
Your right, it is in the wrong place, but let me try to help.

1. Go to the JEDEC web site https://www.jedec.org/download/default.cfm
  2. Register to download their free standards.
  3. Search for EIA/JESD22-B102-C, SOLDERABILITY:
  4. Download it.
I hope this helps.

A

ahfoong

Thanks for the replies.

Actually, I've already gotten a copy of the Jedec std, but its kinda vague about the actual test procedures for gold terminations.
All it says is that it requires 2 dips as opposed to 1 dip for normal solder plating.
I need specific parameters like solder temperature, dwell time, type of solder paste/flux, etc.
And is gold termination classified as solder plating or lead-free? I would assume the latter, but the Jedec std governing lead-free solderability tests have yet to be released... B102D to be exact.

So, I am still not getting anywhere... :confused:

Anymore helpers out there?

Bob

E

e006823

ahfoong said:
Thanks for the replies.

Actually, I've already gotten a copy of the Jedec std, but its kinda vague about the actual test procedures for gold terminations.
All it says is that it requires 2 dips as opposed to 1 dip for normal solder plating.
I need specific parameters like solder temperature, dwell time, type of solder paste/flux, etc.
And is gold termination classified as solder plating or lead-free? I would assume the latter, but the Jedec std governing lead-free solderability tests have yet to be released... B102D to be exact.

Lead-Free refers to the type of solder used. Will the final assembly use lead-free solder. J-std-001 has more details about flux and solder bath temperature (I'm assuming these components are part of an electronic assembly). If you are pretinning and inspection of the components is part of your assembly process you needn't perform solderability testing (per J-std-001).

Bob

J

Jim Howe

It was back in the early 80's, in a previous life, that we double dipped gold leads. The first dip was to remove the gold, the second to pre-tin the leads. I don't recall any testing since we were 100% inspect but I do recall that the solder pot had limited life do to the accumulation of gold in the pot. We had to change the pot after so many hours because of this but I :caution: cannot remember how many hours. Thats what happens when you get old, you know!

J

Jim Howe

So ahfoong, please tell us what you decided on. Are you pretinning the gold leads? if so what method are you using?
Just curious!

A

ahfoong

In reply to your questions, Jim, this is what we are doing at my plant right now.

We are running on a 2 solder pot situation, whereby the first pot is used to scavange the gold from the leads before the solderability test is performed using the second pot, based on the requirements of JESD22-B102C.
We are using a dip-&-look method.

As to your question regarding pretinning, I am not familiar with the term. Perhaps if you'd elaborate a bit, I could answer the question.

J

Jim Howe

ahfoong said:
In reply to your questions, Jim, this is what we are doing at my plant right now.

We are running on a 2 solder pot situation, whereby the first pot is used to scavange the gold from the leads before the solderability test is performed using the second pot, based on the requirements of JESD22-B102C.
We are using a dip-&-look method.

As to your question regarding pretinning, I am not familiar with the term. Perhaps if you'd elaborate a bit, I could answer the question.

ahfoong,
Back in the 1980's we wave soldered 1000's of PC Boards (7 to 15 layers) with plated through holes. Most of the IC's were the traditional tinned leads and some were gold plated. It seems that even the factory tinned leads would oxidize over time. Our problem was getting the solder to flow up through the PTH. We found that by re-tinning the leads "pretinning" the leads of the IC's the problem was minimized.

What is pretinning? It is simply dipping the leads in solder Which is the same thing you are doing with the gold leads except the gold must be dipped twice.
Our process was essentially what yours is except we used "continuos flow" solder pots.

Top Bottom