Southern Women & Southerners

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
Just another little aside: my mother was born and raised in Orlando when Orlando was just a sleepy little town in the middle of the orange groves. She married my Dad in 1963 and moved with him to North Carolina. Now, please bear in mind that Floridian is a slightly variant sub-species of Southerner.

One of my Mom's little sayings: "It wasn't until I married Johnny that I found out it was possible to eat fish without grits and collard greens!"

But then it was way more parochial in Statesville NC when Mom and Dad moved up there (and I was born). Mom likes to say, "In Statesville back then, the spice department of the grocery store consisted of salt and pepper.."

Regards -John

Actually, in those days we were known as "Florida Crackers" (not sure why, but that's what we were called) and it is from the days when Dixiecrats were around.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
Oh Randy, one more point, in the DEEP South, they are known as crawdads, and can often be caught using a string.

J

John Nabors - 2009

Thanks Randy, this is great! Except one or two things.

Ya'll is never sigular, it is a contraction for you all which by definition is more than one.

I have to agree with Hershal on this one - I have never used "y'all" as singular, always plural, albeit I am a Floridian and we do things a little differently than y'all more northern types up in places like Georgia and Arkansas.

Fun anecdote: An old family friend (in Heaven now), Hans Hansen, was born, raised, and lived his entire life in Pierson, Florida, a little town about 15 miles north of where I grew up. If y'all are wondering about the name Hans Hansen, Pierson was a sort of colony of Norwegians going back a hundred years or so who built the fern-growing business for floral arrangements there (Fern Capitol Of The World!). He was, I believe, a 4th-generation Floridian.

Anyway, Hans always liked to say that his definition of a Yankee was anybody born north of Pierson! By his definition that would include me since I was accidentally born in North Carolina.

I am 100% Floridian now except when it comes to UNC Tar Heels sports. I am an equal fan of the Gators and the Tar Heels, and get completely confuddled about what do to when they play each other. My Dad would disown me if I were ever disloyal to the Tar Heels and Mom would quit feeding me Sunday morning biscuits and gravy if I were to ever fail to root for our Gators.

Hmmm.......

GO GATORS !!!!!!!!!!!

Kind Regards -John

R

Randy Stewart

Crawdads or Mudbugs, heard 'em called both and they taste good by any name!

I'm in the neck of the woods up here known as Wall Tuckey. Nascar, BBQ and taking care of your neighbor runs at the top of ones list.
In our neighborhood you have to have a couple things, a TV in your garage and a golf cart. The fridge and wood burner in the garage must be in place by football season.
Kids play outside all day and if they mess up, you'll know before they get back home!
It's a long drive to work (an hour in, 1.5 hours home) but to raise my little girl here is well worth it.
Plus being on a lake has it's perks too!:cool:

M

Michael T

In keepin' with this wonderful thread (makes me home sick... :tg: ) I thought I would share Southern Football vs. Northern Football:

Stadium Size:

NORTH: College football stadiums hold 20,000 people.
SOUTH: High school football stadiums hold 20,000 people.

Campus Decor:

NORTH: Statues of founding fathers.
SOUTH: Statues of Heisman trophy winners.

Homecoming Queen:

NORTH: Also a physics major.
SOUTH: Also Miss America..

Cheerleaders:

NORTH: If you are slightly coordinated, you make the varsity squad.
SOUTH: You begin cheer camp at age two, complete with ballet, dance, & gymnastic training.

Getting Tickets:

NORTH: 5 days before the game you walk into the ticket office on campus and purchase tickets.
SOUTH: 5 months before the game you walk into the ticket office on campus & put name on the waiting list.

Women's Accessories:

NORTH: ChapStick in back pocket and a $20 bill in the front pocket.
SOUTH: Louis Vuitton duffel with two lipsticks, waterproof mascara, and a fifth of Jack Daniels/Crown. Money is not necessary -- That's what dates are for.

Friday Classes After a Thursday Night Game:

NORTH: Students and teachers not sure they're going to the game, Because they have classes on Friday.
SOUTH: Teachers cancel Friday classes because they don't want to see The few hung-over students that might actually make it to class and throw up on their floor.

Parking:

NORTH: An hour before game time, the University opens the campus for game parking.
SOUTH: RVs sporting their school flags begin arriving on Wednesday for The weekend festivities. The really faithful arrive on Tuesday.

Game Day:

NORTH: A few students party in the dorm and watch ESPN on TV.
SOUTH: Every student wakes up, has a beer for breakfast, and rushes over to where ESPN is broadcasting "Game Day Live" to get on camera and wave to the folks up north.

Tailgating:

NORTH: Raw meat on a grill, beer with lime in it, listening to local radio station with truck tailgate down.
SOUTH: 30-foot custom pig-shaped smoker fires up at dawn. Cooking accompanied by live performance by "Dave Matthews' Band," who come over during breaks and ask for a hit off bottle of bourbon.

Getting to the Stadium:

NORTH: You ask "Where's the stadium?" When you find it, you walk right in.
SOUTH: When you're near it, you'll hear it. On game day it becomes the state's third largest city.

Concessions:

NORTH: Drinks served in a paper cup, filled to the top with soda.
SOUTH: Drinks served in a plastic cup with the home team's mascot on it, filled less than halfway with soda, to ensure enough room for Jack Daniels/Crown.

When National Anthem is Played:

NORTH: Stands are still less than half full.
SOUTH: 100,000 fans, all standing, sing along in perfect four-part harmony.

Smell in the Air After the First Score:

NORTH: Nothing changes.
SOUTH: Fireworks, with a touch of Jack Daniels/Crown.

Commentary (Male):

NORTH: "Nice play."
SOUTH: "*#@&@, you slow *&%$@#! - tackle him and break his legs."

Commentary (Female):

NORTH: "My, this certainly is a violent sport."
SOUTH: "*#@&@, you slow *&%$@#! - tackle him and break his legs."

Announcers:

NORTH: Neutral and paid.
SOUTH: Announcer harmonizes with the crowd in the fight song, with a tear in his eye because he is so proud of his team.

After the Game:

NORTH: The stadium is emptying out.
SOUTH: Another rack of ribs goes on the smoker while somebody goes to The nearest package store for more bourbon. Planning begins for next week's game.

Y'all have a terrific day, ya hear... :)

R

Randy Stewart

Now, now Michael. You can't say Ann Arbor or Columbus fits into the North category. Except on the geography!

M

Michael T

Now, now Michael. You can't say Ann Arbor or Columbus fits into the North category. Except on the geography!

Hi Randy...

I've never been to a game in either Ann Arbor or Columbus but where I work the President went to Michigan, the Executive VP went to Ohio. They are brothers... so the week of the Ohio-Michigan game is quite chaotic around here. :tg:

I have been to games in Athens, Georgia, Tuscaloosa, Alabama, Gainesville, Florida and Miami, Florida (my Alma Mater). Those were some of the best games I don't remember... :lmao:

Cheers!!!

Mike

R

Randy Stewart

I've been to U of M, the Horseshoe, Clemson, Georgia & South Carolina.
Lots of fun.
As you would say, the most fun I had and don't remember was in Georgia!
Something about Georgia Peaches, bulldogs and mint julips.:biglaugh:

C

Craig H.

I've been to U of M, the Horseshoe, Clemson, Georgia & South Carolina.
Lots of fun.
As you would say, the most fun I had and don't remember was in Georgia!
Something about Georgia Peaches, bulldogs and mint julips.:biglaugh:

I used to live in Reed Hall, literally a stone's throw away from the stadium. Game days were amazing. You'd go to sleep in the evening and it would be fairly quiet. By morning it was like several hundred circus groups were in town.

Top Bottom