Stupid Company Tricks 101

B

BRoyal

Stupid Company Tricks

In an attempt to boost morale after a year that saw stock prices fall from $48 to less than $9, and staff reductions from 4,200 to a little under 2,000, and with rumors of at least 800 more layoffs in mid-April, the management of my company decided to hold random drawings to pass out such gifts as:

$25 gift certificate to a local grocery store;
boom boxes purchased three years ago for a failed promotions effort (possible warranty issues here); and
a few $200 gift certificates to Wal-Mart.

The results were interesting.

Several of the "winners" were laid off in January and, thus, no longer work for the company.

One of the winners died a couple of months ago.

No word yet on how they intend to handle this, but I will keep you posted.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I look at it as a way to learn what to watch out for... And as a way of highlighting some 'failure modes'.

The problem with Dilbert cartoons is... Well, there isn't one as far as I can tell. If anything they highlight many realities we have become desensitized to in real life.

Several of my favourites are:

<center> Stupid Company Tricks 101

and

Stupid Company Tricks 101

and, having worked many contract jobs, there is this...

Stupid Company Tricks 101 </center>

E

energy

Re: Stupid Company Tricks

BRoyal,

Can't seem to win one today!:eek: Is your post, as indicated by the title, a condemnation (of sorts) of your company's attempt to try a stupid trick on it's employees, or just a comical look at company stupidity? Then we can go from there.:ko: :smokin:

Last edited by a moderator:

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Well, energy, I guess if you're going to dissect everything there's a 'logical' reason for everything. I didn't think this was started as a serious thread per se. Maybe I was wrong.

So get on with it. Logically explain the cartoons above and then you can start on the 101 examples of business stupidity in the link above.

E

energy

Dilbert is easy

Originally posted by Marc
Well, energy, I guess if you're going to dissect everything there's a 'logical' reason for everything. I didn't think this was started as a serious thread per se. Maybe I was wrong.
So get on with it. Logically explain the cartoons above and then you can start on the 101 examples of business stupidity in the link above.
Rather than interpret Dilbert, because they are funny, I just want to attempt to explain why I thought BRoyal was sending a different message.
Unlike the link that shows 101 Stupid Business Moments, I read “Tricks” to mean that the company, in offering these tremendous prizes, was committing a deliberate act of deception, a ploy, a ruse, a hoax, a swindle, a trap, a scam, a joke and/or a fake. (compliments of Thesaurus). While some of the 101 Business Stupidest moments may have been initiated because of deception, like Enron, most were just plain stupid.
I also got the impression that what this company did wasn’t viewed as funny, as much as deliberate.

The choices of prizes, viewed by themselves as objects of scorn or ridicule, re-enforced my interpretation that the company was viewed as something other than comical. Of course, I may be absolutely off target. Wouldn’t be the first time. If I got it wrong, I apologize to BRoyal for my poor sense of humor. It's weird because it's usually my sense of humor that tends to get me in doo doo. :vfunny:

:ko: :smokin:

B

Bruce Epstein

Stupid Letterman Tricks

For the sake of readers outside North America (and North Americans who live in caves), there is a late-night TV host named David Letterman who used to (maybe still does? It's been a while since I've seen him) do a sketch called "Stupid Pet Tricks". Note that "trick" in this case is one of the meanings NOT in the afore-mentioned thesaurus.

At least that's what I thought of when I saw the title of the original posting...

:thedeal:

Top Bottom