"The More I'm Around Some People..."

Steve McQuality

Quality Engineer
Before I begin my vent, I should give credit for the title of my post. A relatively new country song by Sonny Burgess, "The More I'm Around Some People, the More I Like My Dog". :lol: ...just heard that the other day, the song's a hoot!

Anyway - I was checking on the status of Ben Roethlisberger (PA resident and Steeler's fan) and saw a set of comments from folks around the country regarding the accident (on the Fox Sports web page). Just wanted to see how he was doing, and I couldn't believe some of the comments from these people!!:mad:

Thought I'd bring this up "at the water cooler" to see what people of an IQ higher than his jersey number thought about the incident. Maybe such a high profile accident will make some think twice about riding without a helmet? Maybe PA lawmakers will rethink their position on the helmet law? Maybe cycle riders have a different opinion (those of you w/ bikes)? I was just simply floored by the insane and infantile responses to something like this. Foolish decision or not, the guy's racked up pretty bad. Doesn't have much to do with "Quality", but...

Any collective thoughts from the masses? Just curious...

M

morgand - 2006

"Roethlisberger has said in the past that he prefers not to wear a helmet when riding his motorcycle. He has pointed out Pennsylvania's state law requiring helmets to be worn was repealed in September 2003."
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5687558

1) How did the law get repealed in the first place? That doesn't seem to make much sense?....:confused:

2) I see a new clause in professional athlete contracts coming... If you want to ride a 'cylce, you must wear a helmet.

R

RosieA

morgand said:
"Roethlisberger has said in the past that he prefers not to wear a helmet when riding his motorcycle.

Sadly, this sounds like a self-fulfilling prophesy. He's still a young man, and it wouldn't surprise me, with all his celebrity and success, if he still has that teenage "nothing's going to happen to me" belief.

Steve McQuality

Quality Engineer
morgand said:
"Roethlisberger has said in the past that he prefers not to wear a helmet when riding his motorcycle. He has pointed out Pennsylvania's state law requiring helmets to be worn was repealed in September 2003."

1) How did the law get repealed in the first place? That doesn't seem to make much sense?....:confused:

I'm not a cyclist, so I don't remember exactly - but as I recall there was a HUGE motorcycle lobby that talked the PA legislators into repealing the law in PA. Didn't make much sense to me then, and obviously makes less sense to me now!

If the US can push for a "Click or Ticket" campaign for seatbelts, I don't understand why there isn't a similar effort for helmets on cycles. I may be wrong, but I think they are required for 4 wheelers...:confused: ALSO

Randy

Super Moderator
Life is hard and common sense isn't taught in college.

I'm pretty cold and hard about something like this. You think he's enjoying his "freedom" and the rewards from exercising it?

The "duh factor" eventually will grab everyone by the asz in their life.

Other than this incident how many more "rider's" are out there have had an accident like this that didn't make the NEWS? The only reason this clown is even being talked about is because of his "status" and not his being a person who has been seriously injured.

As for me personally, I couldn't care less. There are many more important things going on than this.

Steve McQuality

Quality Engineer
RosieA said:
Sadly, this sounds like a self-fulfilling prophesy. He's still a young man, and it wouldn't surprise me, with all his celebrity and success, if he still has that teenage "nothing's going to happen to me" belief.

You're probably right Rosie. I used to think that too - age has a way of defeating that attitude!! :lol:

Scott Catron

True Artisan
Super Moderator
morgand said:
I see a new clause in professional athlete contracts coming... If you want to ride a 'cycle, you must wear a helmet.

John Clayton (ESPN NFL reporter) was on the Mike & Mike show this morning and he said a standard clause in NFL contracts states that if a player is hurt due to non-football-related activities, the team has the right to withhold some salary and recoup some signing bonus.

So for the team's protection, they would need more then what they have already. You can't stipulate wisdom into a contract.

Steve McQuality

Quality Engineer
Randy said:
Life is hard and common sense isn't taught in college.

I'm pretty cold and hard about something like this. You think he's enjoying his "freedom" and the rewards from exercising it?

The "duh factor" eventually will grab everyone by the asz in their life.

Other than this incident how many more "rider's" are out there have had an accident like this that didn't make the NEWS? The only reason this clown is even being talked about is because of his "status" and not his being a person who has been seriously injured.

As for me personally, I couldn't care less. There are many more important things going on than this.

OK - Point well taken Randy:eek: I guess I just added to the whole thing by starting this thread. I guess I was interested in how many people seemed to be so "ill spoken" about the incident. I like the "duh factor" :bonk: . That hits the nail on the head!!

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
morgand said:

2) I see a new clause in professional athlete contracts coming... If you want to ride a 'cylce, you must wear a helmet.

The law was probably repealed because the federal goverment withdrew a requirement for it tied to highway funding, or just good ol' political pressure.

Roethlisberger aside, I think riding without a helmet is exceedingly unsmart (to be polite) and there is evidence that there is a cost to the public at large in states without helmet laws. See here for example.

It's a highly politicized issue, but it seems to me that it boils down to a lot of people who don't like to be told they have to wear a helmet using specious logic and libertarian arguments to maintain their "rights."

Many athletes already have hazardous-activities clauses in their contracts (I believe Kellen Winslow Jr. did) that cover things like skydiving, motorcycling, and rockclimbing.

C

Craig H.

I heard it reported that a "no motorcycle" clause WAS in his contract, which would be pretty standard. I have also heard of "no" skydiving, hang gliding, car racing, scuba diving and roller derby clauses (except the last one - couldn't resist) in athletic contracts.

Top Bottom