The Red Bead Experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gszekely

The red nead experiment

Hi all! I'm a new on this forum, trying to get familiar with the past topics first.
I like this sentence, and it's so simple:
Toyota view:
“We get brilliant results from average people managing brilliant processes.
We observe that our competitors often get average (orworse) results from brilliant people managing broken processes.”
all !
In my opinion, it can be the conclusion of the RBE.
It's enough for first time posting. Very good forum, and professionals. Thanks for it.
Gyorgy

L

Lori Beeler

47 Degrees? No way!!

Well, there ya go! That's got to be the reason I failed miserably!!
It was still fun.
Lori Beeler

T

tammye

Dismissed!

It's amazing that something that is so basic such as the red bead experiment could teach so much. It would be interesting to see this done to a group of managers. Like some of my classmates, my agency used to use a merit award form of rewards to certain people who were just doing their job! Of course now the state auditors have deemed it gifting of public funds, so we don't do anything. Our last Mayor was big on certificates and it seemed I was doing one for every little thing to the point of being silly. It is still the big joke when someone does something routine that we'll say, 'let me make them a certificate!'. Hmmmm. Speaking of...maybe I should make one to reward our top worker?:D

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
tammye said:
It's amazing that something that is so basic such as the red bead experiment could teach so much. It would be interesting to see this done to a group of managers. Like some of my classmates, my agency used to use a merit award form of rewards to certain people who were just doing their job! Of course now the state auditors have deemed it gifting of public funds, so we don't do anything. Our last Mayor was big on certificates and it seemed I was doing one for every little thing to the point of being silly. It is still the big joke when someone does something routine that we'll say, 'let me make them a certificate!'. Hmmmm. Speaking of...maybe I should make one to reward our top worker?:D
I have an assortment of different colored stars to stick on to the certificates, so you can further classify "teacher's pets" in order of rank! Note the gold stars are twice as big as the other colors.:biglaugh:

M

Mike Moran

You are spot on. The RBE was very simple and yet it sent a powerful message. Believe me, I wanted the candy bar and the $20 offered for only having three beads...What a scam :). I don't think most managers can even see it that way.
The quote from the first post about Toyota is the best yet.

I am thinking of having a RBE at my workplace with my management....nothing but fear stopping me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom