Timeframe for Product Label Update after Company Name Change

A

ajbera3

The company (LLC) that owns us is changing their name. Once I make the update to our FDA registration, how much time do we have to update our product labels, packaging, and IFU?

A colleague believed it was a 90 day time frame, but I cannot locate an FDA regulation with that precise information. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ajit Basrur

Staff member
Admin
Re: Timeframe for product label update after company name change?

The company (LLC) that owns us is changing their name. Once I make the update to our FDA registration, how much time do we have to update our product labels, packaging, and IFU?

A colleague believed it was a 90 day time frame, but I cannot locate an FDA regulation with that precise information. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Would this thread help - How to notify FDA of change of ownership?

A

ajbera3

Ajit,

First, thanks for your help in relocating this thread.

Second, I have read through the thread you linked and it does not answer my question.

I have managers and colleagues pressing me for a precise timeframe and I am unable to provide an answer. I find it hard to believe that the FDA would leave it entirely open-ended, but if I tell my managers that there is no deadline then it's entirely possible they wouldn't update the labels on a product line until the next version was released, whenever that may be.

If there is no deadline, if it falls under the FDA's ambiguous "least burdensome" approach that leaves it entirely up to us, that's an acceptable response. I'd just like to be certain before I report back to the various functional groups.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

MIREGMGR

I am not aware of a specific regulation or guidance on your question.

My contextual understanding is that for a reasonable time following such a change of name/ownership, FDA is willing to accept technically incorrect information on the labeling as long as it is assured that an end user is not hampered from making timely contact with the actual responsible manufacturer or other party, for instance to report an adverse event or make a performance complaint.

This could be accomplished by means of maintaining directory entries, mailing addresses, on-line URL forwarding and the like so that any inquiry directed to the old name is assuredly and immediately forwarded to the company.

Such a scenario can hardly be avoided in the case of product that is in the field already, or "in the pipeline". My understanding is that FDA extends that forbearance to include additional manufactured product within a reasonable bound, as long as you can show that end user contact has been assured.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A MDR - Legacy Device Review Timeframe and Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 3
B Timeframe for updating QMS / transitioning from ISO 14971:2012 to ISO 14971:2019 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 10
R Timeframe for IATF 16949 certification to accumulate evidence of conformance of systems? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Q Timeframe to resolve Corrective Actions (Undue Delay) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q Setting Quality Objectives with a Timeframe ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
R 21 CFR 11 Timeframe of Inactivity after which all Signature Components are Required? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
J Corrective Action Timeframe for Internal Nonconformances Nonconformance and Corrective Action 14
J Corrective Action Plan Submission Timeframe Nonconformance and Corrective Action 19
B Timeframe to Convert to AS9100 from ISO9001 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
K 93/42/EEC Obsolete Document Retention requirements - New timeframe? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
A Timeframe to transition to ISO 9001:2000 - ISO 9002:1994 certificate expires in 2007 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
M Timeframe and Cost of implementing ISO 9001-2000 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M R&R Studies - how many? per product? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
A Eudamed actor registrations if you change AR for MDR product EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S Reliability issue - Frequent component failure of the product Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
R Statistical Methods for comparing test and reference product equivalence for quality attributes US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
T Do I need to add non-product related service providers to my ASL? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
L How to deal with the model number symbol for X-RAY PRODUCT Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
B Establishment and Product Registration Procedure - UK & EU UK Medical Device Regulations 0
I Is SRN required for a contract manufacturer (CE-Marking product)? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Process & Product Characteristic in Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 17
L 1 product multiple factories EU Medical Device Regulations 0
C Product Lifetime on Labeling 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
B Acquired Medical Device Product Line - Documentation Requirements for Device Master Record ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
P API Q1 - Monogram Product & API 4F - Proof Load Test Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
R CE marked product sold in UK no EU rep CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
JoCam On-product labels for Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Awais How to mistake proof - Shipping Orders with Shortages - Product Quantity Accountability mismatch with Job Traveller? Manufacturing and Related Processes 17
L Product and process Deviation procedure Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
H Using/Selling power banks with your product as a "mobile version" CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
H Electronic care product on patient bed side - Flammability requirements (62368-1) Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 0
B Design Responsibilities for Mature Acquired Product Lines ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D Dental application - medical product or not? Other US Medical Device Regulations 8
Q Product Quality vs Product Defects Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
J Verification of purchased product / supplier questionnaires ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
E Any template/ form of Monitoring and Measurement of Processes and product to ISO 13485? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Product Code 510(k) exemption US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
M REACH assessment of PCBA/finished product REACH and RoHS Conversations 2
J Validity of CE mark on distributed product when company ceases trading EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Q News cradle to grave - Product life cycle ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5
J Using of CE marking - Two CE markings on the product CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
W Final Report re: Market withdrawal of radiation-emitting product Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
M Combination Product - New MAA EU Medical Device Regulations 0
pbojsen ISO 13485 Requirements versus FDA product classification and GMP exemptions - Audits ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Z REACH compliance for low volume product REACH and RoHS Conversations 1
chris1price Notified Body responsible for product safety under MDD? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S Does a refurbished product required a new UDI? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
lanley liao How to understand and master the requirements of each section in API monogram product. Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
H Verification Process for the existing MDS Product IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
A UDI for product already packed up EU Medical Device Regulations 0