Timeframe for Product Label Update after Company Name Change

A

ajbera3

The company (LLC) that owns us is changing their name. Once I make the update to our FDA registration, how much time do we have to update our product labels, packaging, and IFU?

A colleague believed it was a 90 day time frame, but I cannot locate an FDA regulation with that precise information. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ajit Basrur

Staff member
Admin
Re: Timeframe for product label update after company name change?

The company (LLC) that owns us is changing their name. Once I make the update to our FDA registration, how much time do we have to update our product labels, packaging, and IFU?

A colleague believed it was a 90 day time frame, but I cannot locate an FDA regulation with that precise information. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Would this thread help - How to notify FDA of change of ownership?

A

ajbera3

Ajit,

First, thanks for your help in relocating this thread.

Second, I have read through the thread you linked and it does not answer my question.

I have managers and colleagues pressing me for a precise timeframe and I am unable to provide an answer. I find it hard to believe that the FDA would leave it entirely open-ended, but if I tell my managers that there is no deadline then it's entirely possible they wouldn't update the labels on a product line until the next version was released, whenever that may be.

If there is no deadline, if it falls under the FDA's ambiguous "least burdensome" approach that leaves it entirely up to us, that's an acceptable response. I'd just like to be certain before I report back to the various functional groups.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

MIREGMGR

I am not aware of a specific regulation or guidance on your question.

My contextual understanding is that for a reasonable time following such a change of name/ownership, FDA is willing to accept technically incorrect information on the labeling as long as it is assured that an end user is not hampered from making timely contact with the actual responsible manufacturer or other party, for instance to report an adverse event or make a performance complaint.

This could be accomplished by means of maintaining directory entries, mailing addresses, on-line URL forwarding and the like so that any inquiry directed to the old name is assuredly and immediately forwarded to the company.

Such a scenario can hardly be avoided in the case of product that is in the field already, or "in the pipeline". My understanding is that FDA extends that forbearance to include additional manufactured product within a reasonable bound, as long as you can show that end user contact has been assured.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Timeframe for IATF 16949 certification to accumulate evidence of conformance of systems? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Q Timeframe to resolve Corrective Actions (Undue Delay) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q Setting Quality Objectives with a Timeframe ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
R 21 CFR 11 Timeframe of Inactivity after which all Signature Components are Required? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
J Corrective Action Timeframe for Internal Nonconformances Nonconformance and Corrective Action 14
J Corrective Action Plan Submission Timeframe Nonconformance and Corrective Action 19
B Timeframe to Convert to AS9100 from ISO9001 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
K 93/42/EEC Obsolete Document Retention requirements - New timeframe? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
A Timeframe to transition to ISO 9001:2000 - ISO 9002:1994 certificate expires in 2007 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
M Timeframe and Cost of implementing ISO 9001-2000 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Felony Melony New Product Launch - Safe Launch Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
Marcel DS How do I know if my product is required be RoHS certified? REACH and RoHS Conversations 6
I Control Plan (Product/Process specification/ Tolerance) acceptance FMEA and Control Plans 27
DuncanGibbons Technical Data Package vs Digital Product Definition APQP and PPAP 0
A ISO 11135:2014, B.1.4, BI resistance x product bioburden ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
Sravan Manchikanti How to interpret '8.3 Control of nonconforming product' for SaMD device while implementing ISO 13485 & MDSAP ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
R Product Recall - medical devices in the hospital warehouse Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
A Software bug fixes after shipping a product EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S How to measure severity if my product is designed for emergency use and failure would result in death? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 9
D IATF16949 7.5.3.2.1 Record Retention - Our Product or Customer Product? Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 1
H Operational planning and product and service provision when things happen so fast ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
T Letter to file for Product Certification CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
J Scope of ISO 9001 clause 10.2 in the product life cycle ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S Can a Contract Manufacturer "release" product on behalf of client to the market? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
T Formal Q Self Assessment - Problem with assigning Product and Process Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
S California Cleaning Product Right to Know Act - Product Label advice needed Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
S Definition of "worldwide" in view of IATF 16949 and Product conformity IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
H PCD remains valid for new product ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
M MDR EU Distributor for our CE Mark product in the for Netherlands EU Medical Device Regulations 6
E How do you determine if hipot is necessary for a cable product? Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
D Does Manufacture can submit CE mark application under MDD with NB for his New product after May 2020? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Ed Panek CE Mark Requirements on Kits (off the shelf product requirements met) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
N Authorised Representative details on product label? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D Importing a general wellness low risk product Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
V Process, component or full product re-qualification: leaded to unleaded solder Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 8
C Brazil - Product Code (and brand) Change Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
N Audit non-compliance API Q1 - Use of External Documents 4.4.4 in Product Realization Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
S A clinical performance evaluation study with an IVD product as Investagional Use product - Clinical Monitor requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
H Remote product audits in Coivd-19 - IATF 16949 9.2.2.4 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B EU MDR Perscription product guidance EU Medical Device Regulations 1
F Product audit sampling plans IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
D Interesting Discussion Requirements for selling a Food product in USA Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 0
D How to list multi-product sample pack in GUDID 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
N What is our product classification? (Does Unclassified classification still exists) Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
M Definition of Done - New Product Phase to the sustaining phase Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
B Product Safety Responsibility - Job shop such as a machine shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
Miner Quality checks of product QR codes FMEA and Control Plans 2
A ISO 13485 - Clause 8.3.3 appropriate actions in response to nonconforming product ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
G Handling Unpacked (Additive Chemical) Product For Automotive Applications IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B Risk Assessment Checklist for Non product Software IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1