Tolerance definition based on expected Cp/cpk

Hello all,
I have a question. We are in technical review prior the offer, our customer is requesting a min Cp/Cpk of 2 on some characteristics.
Just as pure example, assuming that the dimension is 40 +/-0,3, that the Cp/Cpk in serial production has to be >2, how can I calculate in advance which should be UCL/LCL I have to keep in serial life or how should much I should close the tollerance range during setting my process in order to achieve the Cp/Cpk?
Many thanks for your help!!!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
This is a misunderstanding of process capability. The process is what it is and creates its own control limits. You can reduce variation in three ways: 1) eliminate special causes; 2) reduce common cause variation by changing the process design, or 3) reduce common cause variation by using Taguchi parameter design methods. You cannot reduce variation by tightening the specifications unless you setup 100% automated inspection and sorted out everything, which would truncate the distribution and prevent you from calculating Cp/Cpk, which assume normality.

Hi Miner, yes I know you are totally right. Maybe I miss something in my description.
It's a plastic part, injection moulding process. Let's Imagine for a while that the only variability of the process Is the the mold. If i use the whole tolleranze range maybe I have cp/cpk 1.33 but if i want cp/cpk 2 or higher then i Need to reduce the portion of tollerance. How much i tight the tollerance Is equal to the effort to center the dimension. I know it's pure thoery but There Is a calculation whoch could support?

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
So you definitely have cavity to cavity variation, possibly mold to mold variation if you have more than one mold. If you run this mold on more than one injection press, you would have press to press variation. You will have variation from lot to lot of plastic resin, variation from the amount of regrind used, variation in moisture content of the resin, variation from the process parameters, etc., so the mold is not the only source of variation. Tightening the tolerance has no impact on these sources of variation. The process variation stays the same.

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Trusted Information Resource
...put another way if the "common cause variation is unacceptable", (special cause variation has been addressed/eliminated), the process should be looked at in detail....re-designed

I know all the variances you mentioned. I am talking from a purely hipothetical situation (totally out of real world), where i can only work in reducing the tollerance, Is there any way to calculate how much i have to reduce It?

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
I know all the variances you mentioned. I am talking from a purely hipothetical situation (totally out of real world), where i can only work in reducing the tollerance, Is there any way to calculate how much i have to reduce It?
In order to increase Cpk, you would need to expand the tolerance, not reduce it.

right, but in this case you should change customer design. To go in this direction we want to say like this:
1) you ask 40 +/-0,3 with cp/cpk 2, this means that we must tune our mould to 40 +/- xx (xx value is what I want to calculate which is less the +/-0,3 required in the dwg) and this has a huge developement cost
2) then considering the huge effert (anc cost) in centering the new tolelrance and taking into condideration that injetion process has several variants, proposal might be to increase orginal tollerances in dwg (i.e. 40 +/-0,5) or reduce cp/cpk to 1,33

Mikey324

Quite Involved in Discussions
Do you mean, for example, you are currently using up 80% of the tolerance and would like to know if improving to using only 5% of the tolerance would give you > 2?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V MSA - Which edition constants are these? What is definition of Tolerance? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
T Definition Tolerance Stackup - Clear Definition Needed Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2
M Definition Out of Tolerance Condition - Definition of *Significant* Out of Tolerance Condition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2
M Determining a tolerance value for Measuring devices in-house inspection General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
G 0.00005" tolerance on micrometer with 0.0005" resolution? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
N Drawing tolerance vs. Measurement device General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
I Control Plan (Product/Process specification/ Tolerance) acceptance FMEA and Control Plans 27
J Mechanical inspection techniques of close tolerance parts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
Proud Liberal Small radius with tight tolerance on a torus General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
L GRR for a tolerance that has changed Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
T How to justify this High %Tolerance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
N % Tolerance - Type 1 study on the gages, then a gage R&R (ANOVA) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
S Tolerance limits for micro balance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
J Determining SPC tolerance Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 21
Q % Study variation low, % tolerance high - GR&R Interpretation help Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
R Uncertainty in measurement larger than tolerance Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
WEAVER Electronic Weighing Scale Calibration Tolerance Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
I Determining Calibration Tolerance of a Measurement Device General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Ronen E Tolerance intervals (?) question - Flow Rate Probability Range Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
D Tolerance when verifying an analytical balance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
E Discussion between co-worker on tolerance and uncertainty and how to apply it. Thoughts? 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
C Thread Tolerance - Can I use a 3A Ring on a part that the drawing calls out for a 2A? Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
T GRR based on part tolerance or process variation. Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
A Excel OOT (Out of Tolerance) Formula Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 3
N Tolerance Interval plots in Minitab Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
S Question about a basic additive variance/tolerance example Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
G Assigning a calibration tolerance - An x-y coordinate machine - Uncertainty as my verification tolerance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
R Feeler Gauge Calibration - What tolerance is used for calibrating feeler gauges? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
S SPC (Statistical Process Control) for Unilateral Tolerance - Questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
B Gage R&R Acceptable (10-30%), deduct Total Variation from Tolerance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
Y How to fix weight tolerance for plastic injection molded part? Does it vary with material groups? Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
F Position tolerance check gage manufacturing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
M GD&T tolerance or band? Using a symbol like parallelism // Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
J What is the difference between Process Variation and Tolerance? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
J Gage R&R without tolerance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
A Calibration of Pressure Gauge, How to Determine Calibration Tolerance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
V Using K-Factor(Tolerance Interval) Analysis for Design Verification Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
C Acceptable NDC for %GR&R part inspection to Tolerance (%Tolerance) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
O Cpk for Unilateral Tolerance Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
S Doubts about SPC taken in Machining - Part has +-0.01 Tolerance Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
A Calibration tolerance for data logger General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
N Straightness Gage Tolerance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
G Calculating Tolerance of a Panel Meter with a 2 degrees of an Arc General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
Hami812 Cpk Setting Tolerance - Cart before the Horse? (Wifi Routers) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
kedarg6500 Excel spreadsheet for Unilateral Tolerance Study wanted Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
U Control Charting a Feature with Bonus Tolerance Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 10
J Process Capability - How much percentage of tolerance? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 3
B Gage R&R MSA - Variation, Tolerance, Variance by different methods IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 23
R Fixing of tolerance limit - Electronic weighing balance with the capacity of 150 Kgs General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
bobdoering Unilateral Tolerance Capability Calculations Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1