Types of Measurement Uncertainty of Different Devices - Is there any Standard?

D

David A

Is there a simple way to determine or express the measurement uncertainty of a device, such as a 1% pressure gauge, 0-100 psi with .5 psi sub-divisions, calibrated against a dead-weight tester with a tolerance of .02% of reading.

I referred to the NIST publication on Measurement Uncertainty and my head hurts. This is more informmation than anyone on this planet needs.

T

Timothy

I don't know the answer, but your last sentence is well put...

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Measurement Uncertainty

There has been some chatter about Measurement Uncertainty. I have "Determining and Reporting Measurement Uncertainties", Recommended Practice RP-12, April 1995 from the National Conference of Standards Laboratories.

And I found the below at
http://www.iso.ch

Look for: Guide to the expression of uncertainty in measurement

When reporting the result of a measurement of a physical quantity, some quantitative indication of the result has to be given to assess its reliability and to allow comparisons to be made. The Guide to the expression of uncertainty in measurement establishes general rules for evaluating and expressing uncertainty in measurement that can be followed at many levels of accuracy and in many fields.

1995, 110 p., price group L, CHF 88,50, ISBN 92-67-10188-9

Can some of you help by citing other publications which address the issue?

Also - any 'Practical' comments on MU?

[This message has been edited by Marc Smith (edited 01-15-99).]

D

Don Winton

Marc,

Is "Determining and Reporting Measurement Uncertainties", Recommended Practice RP-12, April 1995 from the National Conference of Standards Laboratories." you mentioned above available on the web. I would like to see a copy for some research I am doing.

Regards,
Don

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Not that I know about. I bought a paper copy a while ago. But then again, I haven't searched for it on the web.

D

Don Winton

Thanks, Marc, I do my best. No, seriously, I am still researching my MEA and R&R paper and stumble upon these during the search. If any more pop up, I will advise.

Regards,
Don

D

Don Winton

I'm here to learn and you're providing me with good stuff!

Thanks and you to me as well. The R&R paper mentioned above is currently being proof-read (by a very nice IT lady) and should be ready in a couple of days. When I have it finished, I will forward for your review. If you deem it worthy (?), you can post after your review. Anything else I come across, I will be sure to keep the group informed.

Regards,
Don

Top Bottom