Upgrading from ISO9001:2000 to AS9120 - Difficulties?

R

razkallyone

Quick, semi-unrelated question: How to get around the "auditors can't audit their own work" requirement, if you're really the only qualified auditor in the company (mom and pop shop, mom and pop ain't gonna do it).

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
Quick, semi-unrelated question: How to get around the "auditors can't audit their own work" requirement, if you're really the only qualified auditor in the company (mom and pop shop, mom and pop ain't gonna do it).

You can't!!! Train and have someone else audit your work. Or hire a consultant for and hour or two.

R

razkallyone

Hmm, can't hire anyone either, and I work where almost every other person has English as their second language. They could audit, but wouldn't be nearly as effective as me auditing myself.

What about the "legality" of a self-audit program, where I can audit me, submit a self-audit report that is reviewed by an independent auditor, and they issue the final report after they have the chance to ask questions, get clarifications, et cetera?

B

Boscoeee

Re: Upgrading from ISO9001:2000 to AS9100

Hello Cove,

The company I work for is currently working towards ISO certification, hoping to be certified in a couple months, and has mentioned the idea of pursuing AS9100 after that. Does anyone have any thoughts on how long we should let the new ISO system settle before attempting to move ahead with AS9100?

It is probably important to mention that the ISO system has been somewhat of a "culture shock" for certain employees and I believe it would be smart (and probably critical to success) that we wait for buy-in to be more universal and everyone's comfort level with the current system (which has not been in place very long) is higher before altering the system too much. I was thinking of waiting until after our first maintenance audit one year after certification. Any opinions?

Thanks,
-Chris

For me it would be a matter of costs! Typically the initial certification cost is repeated with the Third party you select when moving from ISO 9001:2000 to AS 9100. If the goal is AS9100, then put your change efforts in that process and take a bit more time. In the end you will saving yourself some dollars in the process.

A key in developing a new QMS is to determine what systems exist already and incorporate them into the QMS (helps employee buy in) and then simply add on the processes you need to reach compliance with the Standard. Please remember that if there is a business, there are systems, you just have to expose them and document in a meaningful manner.

Oh, one last thing if you are not experienced in deploying a QMS to the Standard, I strongly encourage you to find a consultant or a mentor that can help you through the process. It may cost a bit more, but you will be better for it in the end. There are many Covers here that fit that bill, I am not one!

B

Boscoeee

Hello Cove,

The company I work for is currently working towards ISO certification, hoping to be certified in a couple months, and has mentioned the idea of pursuing AS9100 after that. Does anyone have any thoughts on how long we should let the new ISO system settle before attempting to move ahead with AS9100?

It is probably important to mention that the ISO system has been somewhat of a "culture shock" for certain employees and I believe it would be smart (and probably critical to success) that we wait for buy-in to be more universal and everyone's comfort level with the current system (which has not been in place very long) is higher before altering the system too much. I was thinking of waiting until after our first maintenance audit one year after certification. Any opinions?

Thanks,
-Chris

Hmm, can't hire anyone either, and I work where almost every other person has English as their second language. They could audit, but wouldn't be nearly as effective as me auditing myself.

What about the "legality" of a self-audit program, where I can audit me, submit a self-audit report that is reviewed by an independent auditor, and they issue the final report after they have the chance to ask questions, get clarifications, et cetera?

In my experience I have never seen self audits accepted under the standard. Train internal auditors based on sound criteria and develop them into suitable internal auditors.

Also, from your note you have a second problem. If the QMS is published in English will you be able to communicate the QMS to the employees. Procedures, work instructions, and forms typically are in the language of the work force they serve. I am not trying to be negative, but if you are going to succeed this could be an obstacle.:(

R

razkallyone

Right. Language is a big problem, but we did "get away with it" for ISO9000, because there are some people (mom and pop) that speak multiple languages, and explain what's in the procedures. Additionally, the workers rarely, if ever, have to do anything except assemble stuff. They know how to assemble by OJT.

Okay, there may be one other person available to audit, if the "self-audit" thing doesn't fly. Can't the independent auditor develop a checklist that he asks me to fill out? What about the legality of me as the "lead internal auditor" developing the checklist for the "independent auditor" to follow? What's the difference between that and me just auditing me?

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Re: Difficulty of upgrading ISO9001:2000 to AS9120?

Thanks Coury, but I am not qualified since I belong to the category of sales folks from a Registrar....
Upgrading from ISO9001:2000 to AS9120 - Difficulties?
That doesn't disqualify you from commenting.

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
Re: Difficulty of upgrading ISO9001:2000 to AS9120?

That doesn't disqualify you from commenting.

I don't know what I was thinking when I posted that back in 2006. I guess I was the "new" kid on the block. :biglaugh::biglaugh:

But, the statement still holds true.

Coury Ferguson said:
Sidney is one of the Experts here in the Cove and also works for a Registrar. If you ask Him specific questions he will be very helpful.

Top Bottom