USB VID/PID certification

KrishQA

Starting to get Involved
Hello All,

I am not sure this is the right forum but posting anyway.

So we have a medical drug dispensing device that has the capability to connect to a PC via a cable to download the logs. The question I have is when does it become important to have USB certification and get a VID/PID? The company would not need to advertise the USB capability or anything, it is just a fringe requirement where the user may choose to use it for the logs.

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator
I don't know about USB certification but you are saying a) you're a medical device; and b) have an external access port. For a) you just have to comply with applicable medical device regulations, including electrical concerns, possibly including labeling for the cable, etc. The fact that you have an external access port is probably going to be your bigger headache. Now you have cybersecurity concerns, data protection concerns, usability concerns, ...

KrishQA

Starting to get Involved
@yodon Yes, we have identified cyber security risks and respective mitigations. The early call was to disable the USB due to cybersecurity concerns. The stakeholders later decided to have it just to collect some logs from the device.

The conversation then moved to USB certification. From my initial research I can see that the certification is more for marketing purposes and using the trademarked logos. None of the medical regulations talk about it (I haven't seen them anyway)

Top Bottom