Use of the "Non-Sterile" Icon - ISO7000-2609

R

Rasmus Lundholt

New to the cove so apologies for a potential repost/topic thread

I have not been able to arrive at a conclusion regarding if the "non-sterile" icon should be applied to the primary packaging of a Class 1 medical device (multi use, dental application) which is delivered non sterile but requires a sterilization process prior to use.

The instructions for use [IFU] contains specific sterilization instructions however.

The product is sold "world wide".

According to MDD 93/42/EEC:

Section 8.6 address packaging system requirements.

Section 8.7. stipulates that the packaging and/or label must distinguish between identical or similar products sold in both sterile and non-sterile condition - which make perfect sense.

However, given the requirement of prior-use sterilization its seems like a good idea to do... but are the rules i have missed?

I have seen examples of with and with out the symbol on similar competitor products.

Any feedback would be highly appreciated

Pads38

re: Use of the "Non-Sterile" Icon - ISO7000-2609

From the ISO site for symbol number 2609:
The symbol is also used to indicate that a device that the manufacturer intends to be sterilized has not yet been through the sterilization process.
that would seem to be the one to use.

Welcome to the forums!

R

Rasmus Lundholt

Thanks Pads38

Yes, that is the formulation from the ISO7000 regarding symbol 2609 and it does seem like a good idea - but is it required.

Usually my rule of thumb is "not written not required" but my concern is that either i have missed it or there may be a requirenment for certain parts of the world.

Thank you for the reply and the welcome :D

R

Pads38

As you have identified that the device must be sterilised by the end-user, that may be thought of as being 'special operating instructions'. That would be information required by MDD Essential requirements 13.3j

I would have thought that using the non-sterile symbol would help you get that information across.

R

Rasmus Lundholt

Good point, and perspective.

That actually makes good sense being that it is required and not optional and in addition also connects nicely to 13.3

(k) any warnings and/or precautions to take

Thank you for the answers and the feedback.

R

Top Bottom