Verification vs. Validation vs. Calibration - What is the difference?

F

Freddyfred

Great question.
Calibration is when you mechanically or electronically set the parameters for an instrument. Validation is does the equipment does what it is designed to do. and verification is when you verify the equipment's performance

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Context is everything. "Calibration" is comparison of a measurement device against a standard and adjustment if necessary, but the definition of "validation" is controlled by context.

Validation is defined in ISO 9000 section 3.8.5 as "confirmation, through the provision of objective evidence, that the requirements for a specific intended use or application have been fulfilled".

JSW05 has a good definition of verification.

Calibration is basically a comparison of an item to a standard that is closer to SI, also known as a higher level standard. Such comparison requires traceability of the calibration. Traceability is defined as an unbroken chain of comparisons to National or international standards (e.g. standards maintained by NIST), AND stated uncertainties at each step. The traceability of course needs to ultimately go to SI, where possible.

Sometimes the comparison will result in unacceptable readings (e.g. out of tolerance) and then adjustment may be required. Technically, the adjustments may - or may not - be calibration. Typically, a small adjustment that is "incidental" to calibration (e.g. zero the reading on calipers) is part of calibration, but involved things (e.g. open up an oscilloscope for internal adjustments) is different.

Hope this helps.

Hershal
I think these posts pretty well sum things up.

Validation typically is a term used in design and development rather than with respect to measurement equipment.

D

dguthro

I realize its an old post, but how would you go about "verifying" a crimp tool? Thanx in advance!

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
I would validate the use of the tool...
When you use it, does the resulting crimp meet all acceptance criteria? ...

Calibrate: Does it match known good results as defined by standards?...if not make it do so.
Verify: Does it still match?
Validate: Does it do what I need it to?

:2cents:

dwperron

Most crimpers will have a verification / calibration procedure or tolerances available. There are several different methods of verifying that a crimper is operating correctly, the correct method is the one specified by the manufacturer. There is also an ANSI document (ANSI C83.79) that covers solderless cripming devices.

There are pull tests where you make a test crimp on a terminal and wire and determine how much pull is required to break the connection.
There are crimp tests where you crimp a a ferrule or termination, or you crimp a piece of wire or solder, and measure the crimp diameter with a crimp micrometer.
There are also crimpers where you close the jaws and insert gage pins to determine the crimp diameter.

Check with the manufacturer to determine which testing method is appropriate. They will also have tolerances available so you can determine if the crimper is operating properly, if not they usually have an adjustment procedure.

One final thing - the equipment that you are using to test / validate / calibrate the crimper must be calibrated.

Richard Wilde

Registered
In short, Validation checks that an instrument is measuring correctly, checked against a known length standard or similar. Any report generated should show the errors found. Whilst Calibration is assumed to compare the results to those published in a BSI/ISO/ASTM standard .

Any report/certificate generated will state whether the instrument meets that standard., so people that buy or use the instrument know it measures with accuracy relevant to their application..

I hope this helps

SGCalLab

Involved In Discussions
My company requires "verified test equipment" to have a "described verification process". This particular item is a Creaform 3D scanner. Only going to be used in analysis for checking parts, but not advising changes to the parts so they say it doesn't need to be calibrated. (We are still required to put this item in our management software for documentation purposes, but not recall it for calibration).

What would be a "verification process" for this item? Compare it to another like device possibly?

dwperron

Typically on a device like this you have a "golden standard" - a piece that has been measured before and is known to be good. You would create and document a process where you have your scanner measure the golden standard, and you would compare the results to the known good data for the golden standard. You would need to determine the pass / fail tolerances that you will apply to determine whether or not the scanner passed the verification.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
My company requires "verified test equipment" to have a "described verification process".

From this wording I understand that the requirement is internal, i.e. doesn't originate from regulation, a published standard etc. As such, and in the absence of additional guidance, you are free to interpret it literally. "Verification" means provision of objective evidence that specified requirements have been met. So first, the measurement equipment item needs to have documented and approved performance requirements. What actions you need to take to be able to provide objective evidence that these requirements have been met depends on what the requirements are.

"Described verification process" (assuming verbatim quoting) is a poor wording, because description may be verbal... The intent was more likely "documented verification process". This is still a little ambiguous because it doesn't clarify whether a standard procedure for this activity needs to exist, or would a retroactive documented report suffice (i.e. a report describing what has been done and the results obtained, providing objective evidence that the specified requirements have been met).

Only going to be used in analysis for checking parts, but not advising changes to the parts so they say it doesn't need to be calibrated.
Unsure who "they" are, whether "say" refers to verbal expressions or to some binding document, and what the basis of this determination is.

Generally speaking, and in the literal sense, "Calibrate" means, in this context: Correlate the readings of (an instrument) with those of a standard in order to check the instrument's accuracy. (Oxford Dictionary)

Top Bottom