Visually Presenting Effectiveness of Multiple Corrective Actions

T

techs

I'm looking for a way to visually convey the effectiveness of several different correction actions over a period of time. Short term and long term corrective actions need to be shown separately.

I've been considering creating monthly Pareto charts listing all defects or separate graphs for each defect with time on the x-axis.

Preferably I'd like to show all the defects on one single graph or illustration along with a summary of the corrective action and its implementation date.

Please respond if you have any ideas on how to best illustrate this information.

Thanks,

Techs

Last edited by a moderator:

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
I was wondering, are the corrective actions all in production? Or are they in different areas of the management system?

If they are all in production, a simple line chart could show a number of trended improvements (I wouldn't show more than seven on one chart.)

If the corrective actions are in different areas it seems to me that such side-by-side comparison could be awkward. Would a balanced scorecard do a better job of showing how the problem solving efforts are paying off throughout the organization? A series of bulleted comments could supplement the chart. I would not make it very complicated, people don't want to have to spend a lot of time studying a chart to receive its message.

Raffy

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi Techs,
Creating a Pareto Charts is a good start of showing to the top management that these are the things that must be prioritize. In our end, we have a list of Pareto Charts to show that these problems must be address by the top management, to prevent recurrence and/or occurrence of the said problem in the future. We provide root cause analysis for each of the problem that are listed in the charts...and from we further analyze it, putting all corrective action in a table and decide whether the said C/A will benefit not only the affected station or department but also other stations and departments.
Hope this helps.
Best regards,
Raffy :cool:

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
Have you decided on performance metric(s) related to the effectiveness of the actions? What measurement(s) do you expect to be affected by the improvements?

If you have identified you "measures of effectiveness" (Military term) then simply plot them by time on a control chart, and show vertical lines at the start and finish of implementation of each related corrective action. If one or more of the corrective actions are effective, you should see a significant shift on the control chart (using your set of trend rules for what is a statistically significant shift).

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
I'm looking for a way to visually convey the effectiveness of several different correction actions over a period of time. Short term and long term corrective actions need to be shown separately.

I've been considering creating monthly Pareto charts listing all defects or separate graphs for each defect with time on the x-axis.

Preferably I'd like to show all the defects on one single graph or illustration along with a summary of the corrective action and its implementation date.

Please respond if you have any ideas on how to best illustrate this information.

Thanks,

Techs

Techs,

Being as corrective action is meant to stop recurrence you could simply plot the most expensive nonconformity types (with an 80:20 or 50:4 focus) and highlight the ones that recur.

This report may show that uglier problems need the application of more advanced problem solving techniques thereby driving improvement of your process for "stopping the recurrence of nonconformity".

It may also show weak or broken feedback loops that enable organizational learning.

John

Top Bottom