What time is it?

Chennaiite

Never-say-die
Trusted Information Resource
Actually, these times are incorrect, because the hour hand has moved, forex when it is 1:05, the minute hand is pointed at the numeral 1, but the hour hand, which was pointed at the numeral one AT 1:00, has now moved slightly past 1.

Geoff Withnell

Shortly after 9:15 (sorry, not gonna calculate finer than that).

I am sure the clue lies here - I mean, since a *normal* analog clock will have a second hand, why not think of answers in seconds.
I am sick of squeezing by brain beyond a certain limit. Well, one instance would be 12:00:00 AM/PM, for sure.

U

Umang Vidyarthi

Shortly after 9:15 (sorry, not gonna calculate finer than that).

It is shortly before 9:15 and not after, since the hour-hand has shot past the mark of '9' so equidistant minute-hand will be before the mark of '3'.

Say, the answer is "9 hours X minutes". According to proposition, the angle between the minute hand and "mark 3" of the watch is equal to the angle between the hour hand and "mark 9" of the watch.

We know in 60 minutes the minute-hand rotates 360 degrees. Therefore the minute hand travels @ 6 degrees per minute(360/60=6), and the hour hand rotates 360/12=30 degrees in 60 minutes, and hence travels @ 1/2 degree per minute (30/60=1/2).

Therefore, (15-X) minutes corresponds to 6(15-X) degrees (this is the angle between the minute hand and "mark 3").

And in X minutes the hour hand makes X/2 degrees with "mark 9".

Therefore X/2=6(15-X)

Therefore X=180/13 mnts

Therefore X=13 minutes 50 and 10/13 seconds.

So, the answer is: 9 hour, 13 minutes, 50 and10/13 second.

In the same way other positions can be worked out.

Umang :D

U

Umang Vidyarthi

So 12:00 is a correct answer after all...

Yep, granted as a consolation, but below expectation from a stalwart of your status.

Yaaaaa....... 12:00':00" .... :biglaugh:

Good you are so joyous, but I am disappointed (personally, I hold you in high esteem).

There are a few, who gave this answer, which is unfit to give complete solution. You see the answer given 'must fit' all the possible solutions, else it is not the right answer.

As I said earlier, it is a tough nut to crack, so thanks to all to try and devote their valuable time.

Umang :thanks:

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Yep, granted as a consolation, but below expectation from a stalwart of your status.

Good you are so joyous, but I am disappointed (personally, I hold you in high esteem).

There are a few, who gave this answer, which is unfit to give complete solution. You see the answer given 'must fit' all the possible solutions, else it is not the right answer.

As I said earlier, it is a tough nut to crack, so thanks to all to try and devote their valuable time.

With my humble regards to you always ... This and the thread " What is the smallest slice of time ? " together made an interesting reading. The instances when the right time occures also open an other question " What is the smallest slice of angle " ?

The smallest (or biggest) slice of anything is as much as your thoughts can apprehend.

Please go through this "Fantastic trip" that I felt to offer to you here for your weekend.

Attachments

• FantasticTrip.pps
    1.1 MB · Views: 108
Last edited:

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource

I would have done the calculations, but the way the question was worded was misleading. "What time is it?" implies one, and only one, answer. "At what times does this occur?" would be asking for a complete set of answers. There are actually 23 correct answers every 12 hours, or 46 correct answers if you count am/pm.

Top Bottom