When Customer Becomes Our Subcontractor

Q

qsmso

When customer becomes our subcontractor !

Case I.
What if 1ST tier supplier, let say company X, for OEM, let’s say company Y, have the situation like this.
Casting at the company X
Heat treat at the company X
CNC at the customer, company Y
Then come back for painting at company X.
Packing at the company X and delivery to company Y as finished product.
Question 1: For QS-9000, what should be the situation for APQP document such as FMEA, Control Plan, and Process Flow Diagram?
Question 2: When the machined parts come back to Company X, do they need some receiving inspection? What about corrective action request?

Case II.
My Company “X” is the second tier for another company, let’s say company A. They assembly product and sell to OEM
The process is
Casting at the company X
Heat treat at the company X
CNC at the company B. < Company X send casted parts to have machine process there)
Then, parts come back for packing and delivery to company A.
Question 1: Is company B is my subcontractor?
Question 2: How gonna we manage this situation to comply with QS-9000 requirement ie. Receiving inspection, PPAP, Subcontractor evaluation, etc. ?

It sounds weird, but It’s actually happen. We need to solve before certificate audit.
:confused:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J
qsmso,

I am not sure that I fully understand your question but I will try an answer.

On Case one: Are you responsible for the finished product once it is delivered. If so then I would treat "company Y" as a vendor and perform whatever checks, audits etc that I would do with any other vendor.

Case two: Absolutely. Company "B" is your sub-contractor.

Perhaps others can elaborate on this.

James

M

M Greenaway

Case 1

You buy raw material and exercise all your controls over this purchase. You process the raw material and exercise all your controls over these activities. You deliver an end product, etc, etc.

When the machined part comes back if you have to purchase the item then exercise your purchasing controls again, but if not then exercise your controls for customer supplied property. Again when you process and deliver this product exercise your controls. Only the customer can tell you if PPAP is required, I would imagine so.

Case 2

Bit more tricky. Is company B your subcontractor ? Only you know this and how the contract agreement stands between all these XYZ companies. If you hold the contract to machine the pieces but you send them to be done at an outside vendor then it is sub-contracted. If however you are contracted for the casting, and then any subsequent post-machining operations then it is not your sub-contract.

This then goes back to the question is it purchased product, or is it customer supplied product. Controls exercised will depend on this however in either case you have a responsibility to not knowingly supply defective products.

Hope this helps.

Q

qsmso

Thank you for your comment,
It helps a lot.
To clarify,
Case II,
The company X is our subcontractor. But they are our brother company also. Now, they don't have any quality system in place.So, it quite difficult to control them as subcontractor.

QSMSO

M

M Greenaway

I have also worked at organisations that use sister companies as suppliers. It is a very difficult arrangement sometimes, and is not the same as a pure independant supplier relationship in practice, however they should be controlled and monitored as any other supplier (even if you are really stuck with them).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Bad Parts cause Customer line stop IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
O IATF 16949 News Ford Motors Customer Specific Requirements Update - Nov 2020 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
D Question regarding customer feedback process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D Change Approval Requirements - Does every change need formal customer approval? Design and Development of Products and Processes 17
B Retention Samples when Customer Leaves Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
M Email Template that go to a customer and then get returned to us for RMA/Warranty Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
B FCA US Customer Specific IATF 16949- Critical Characteristics 8.6.2 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
D ISO 13485 8.2.1 and 8.2.2 - Customer Feedback and Customer Complaints ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
J Customer Complaint Response 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
V Quality review Meeting with Customer for complaints we received Customer Complaints 6
D IATF16949 - Interpretation of Customer Requirements clauses Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 2
S Obligation to accept customer audits? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 23
D IATF16949 7.5.3.2.1 Record Retention - Our Product or Customer Product? Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 1
S Customer Specific Requirements (CSR) not signed/approved IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
B FCA US IATF 16949 Customer Requirements updates Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
G Same parts but new customer - What will the auditor ask me? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
R Customer Satisfaction importance in companies with Government/Public Administration as main customer? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
G Self Assessment Audit from a new potential customer General Auditing Discussions 3
P Customer Corrective Action Requests in OASIS? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Ooi Yew Jin Customer E audit preparation Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
qualprod Managing a "special" customer into the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
C Certificate of Conformance Form - COC for each customer a controlled document? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
R Who is the customer in the ISO/IEC 17025:2017? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
BeaBea ISO 9001 Customer Feedback Methods - What has worked for your company? Service Industry Specific Topics 17
T Root Cause Failure Analysis - Not following Customer packaging Specification Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
V Customer Print Specifications on PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 13
S Issuing of CoC to Customer in a Word or Excel format ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
D Design Transfer Template capturing Customer Specific Requirements Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
W Direct to customer export of medical device (class I: prescription lenses + frame) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
S How to treat a customer complaint ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
I ISO 9001:2015 Section 9.3.2 C1 "customer satisfaction and feedback from relevant interested parties" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
JoCam Labeling to Customer Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 1
T Advice needed - Environmental MS - unwritten but customer requests policy document ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5
Q Customer Satisfaction through On-Time Delivery ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
Pau Calvo PPAP customer requirements in the APQP APQP and PPAP 25
T Nonconforming product at customer detected by a routine inspection by field service Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
0 PPM calculation of customer complaints for PMS Customer Complaints 10
A Definition of customer in ITP (Inspection & Test Plan) Contract Review Process 3
I MSA requirement for 5 Micrometers + CP changes need customer approval? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
F Struggling with a root cause analysis - Customer Returns - Escape issue Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 15
S Best software for customer support/complaints? Customer Complaints 0
F ISO 17025 8.6.2 Customer Feedback Analysis ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
N Customer asking if their notified body can audit us ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
N ISO 9001:2015 Customer Complaints Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
PhilM Nonconformance report, Customer complaint investigations and RMAs ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
G Problem Resolution Report Monitoring - Customer complaint or PRR as general motors use Customer Complaints 12
Nicole Desouza Sampling plan for a customer who wants AQL 1.0 (per ANSI Z1.4) AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 5
Ron Rompen 2D matrix issue - Parts (machined steel) returned from the customer Design and Development of Products and Processes 0
Juby Tan Action on Customer Replacement (Nonconforming Product - ISO 9001) Customer Complaints 2
Q How should I analyze measurement correlation between me and customer? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12